• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A couple of electrical questions

T3hk1w1

NAXJA Forum User
I am doing some engine wiring and I noticed that the wire that runs from the alternator to the fuse box has a funny looking loop terminal at the alternator end(Which has an insulated connection). It looks like it is designed to bolt onto the alternator without grounding it out. Does anyone know if a normal loop terminal would work there, and if not, where to find an aftermarket loop terminal(in 2AWG) that would fit?

Also, I just noticed that the AMG fuse I just got to replace the fusable link on the alternator wire is marked "32v" under the "150AMP" rating label. Does this mean that it will work with any system up to 32volts, or does it mean that it will only work with a 32volt system?
Any help would be appreciated :)

T3hk1w1 said:
I am doing some engine wiring and I noticed that the wire that runs from the alternator to the fuse box has a funny looking loop terminal at the alternator end(Which has an insulated connection). It looks like it is designed to bolt onto the alternator without grounding it out. Does anyone know if a normal loop terminal would work there, and if not, where to find an aftermarket loop terminal(in 2AWG) that would fit?

Also, I just noticed that the AMG fuse I just got to replace the fusable link on the alternator wire is marked "32v" under the "150AMP" rating label. Does this mean that it will work with any system up to 32volts, or does it mean that it will only work with a 32volt system?
Any help would be appreciated :)

"Up to 32V" is a correct assessment - fuses used for 12V or 24V systems are commonly marked as rated for 32V (although voltage as a rating for fuses is a bit less important than amperage - fuses are designed to protect against current surges.)

Got a pic of the "funny loop terminal?" I'm trying to picture what you're talking about, but I'm not getting anywhere...

It's not all that strange, it just has a small tab coming off of it at a 90 degree angle that goes into the insulated post. I can't tell if it has any purpose...

DSC00694.jpg

Its just a "index/anti-spin" tab.

Redoing it with 2AWG, along with the battery cables :) It looks like I'll need to go get a 1/4" terminal, the 3/8" terminals are waaaay too big

Back