• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

throttle body..

No, but there is another seller called "Artsound" who does that on eBay and his stuff is qualty. He needs your old one as a core or charges $40 extra. Bought one for my daughters XJ and she thinks it is faster. We don't have a way to measure HP just seat of the pants. "Artsound" also has Renix era Throttle bodies with the same deal just less often. Never tried the Renix ones.

You may not note an "increase in power" - the OEM throttle body is usually enough to feed the OEM engine, and some light strokers (for both RENIX and HO.)

What you are likely to note - and mistake for "increased power" - is "improved throttle response." Since you're dealing with a larger bore and butterfly, it will open faster (more flow area for a given throttle plate angle,) meaning you'll make power sooner. However, a bored throttle body alone won't help your engine's airflow increase in toto, which is what performance tends to be geared toward (increasing total airflow allows for an increase in overall power, increasing the basic compression ratio can increase power potential, and using different fuels can allow other mods to be complemented.)

90Blue_XJ said:
No, but there is another seller called "Artsound" who does that on eBay and his stuff is qualty. He needs your old one as a core or charges $40 extra. Bought one for my daughters XJ and she thinks it is faster. We don't have a way to measure HP just seat of the pants. "Artsound" also has Renix era Throttle bodies with the same deal just less often. Never tried the Renix ones.

thanks for the tip! ill have a look

can anyone tell me if throttle bodies are interchangeable through out all the years?

A bored TB with a K&N style filter and a catback exhaust will make a difference you can feel. Better acceleration form a dead stop and the AW4 transmission will downshift sooner when you floor it on the highway.

The HO TB's have two types. The early style has 2 sensors mounted on it. The MAP sensor was on the firewall. The late model style has all three sensors mounted on the TB.

Early style 2 sensor ( TPS IAC )
standard.jpg

Late Model 3 sensor ( TPS IAC MAP )
standard.jpg

Last edited:
I need to press my brother to buy my 62mm early HO TB so I can get the later one and mount the MAP the way it was supposed to be. I do notice that the butterfly shaft and screws on mine are more low-profile than the ones in the above pics.

ok so i probably wont be buying a bored throttle body off the internet because i live in cyprus and it just isnt worth it paying nearly $250 because of the shipping!! sooo...instead i am thinking of doing this on my own!! anyone ever did this on his own and wants to share?

thanks ! nick

You can bore out the bottom half to 60mm and use existing throttle plate or you can bore the top and bottom to 62 or 63mm and make/buy larger throttle plate. The one from the ebay link above has a nice brass throttle plate and low profile screws so it has even better flow due to less restriction.

nickPRO said:
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTBboring.htm

found a link thay pretty much tells me how to do it!

just 1 question though! will i need a bigger butterfly?
Bore it yourself, it's pretty simple. If you remove the taper you don't need a bigger butterfly. I used to bore them and sell them and it wasn't too bad. If you have access to a bridgeport you can do it pretty quickly and accurately (my first and current was done with a grinding stone on drill and then finished up with a dremel....still on my jeep.)

You 'll notice the difference because the stock one starts as a 60mm and funnels down to 55. As for the throttle shaft, some use a half shaft and use low profile screws. Compare the one in the ebay link and the ones above--not much of a restriction but is extra effort/custom on the borer and is a well noted detail.
edit: and sfx you can use a later HO TB on your earlier HO--there is a extra air port on the side of the later TB(@3'o, if you're standing in front of the engine). You could seal a rubber cap on it and/or even fill the port with sealant.
double edit: you might even be able to relocate your map sensor from your firewall and mount it directly to that port like the later HOs.

Last edited:
gradon said:
You 'll notice the difference because the stock one starts as a 60mm and funnels down to 55. As for the throttle shaft, some use a half shaft and use low profile screws. Compare the one in the ebay link and the ones above--not much of a restriction but is extra effort/custom on the borer and is a well noted detail.
edit: and sfx you can use a later HO TB on your earlier HO--there is a extra air port on the side of the later TB(@3'o, if you're standing in front of the engine). You could seal a rubber cap on it and/or even fill the port with sealant.
double edit: you might even be able to relocate your map sensor from your firewall and mount it directly to that port like the later HOs.

very interesting and helpfull information! thanks!!:thumbup:

Back