• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat cycleing Mud terrain tires

when you get a new set of tires you should initially drive the tires untill fully warmed up or as they call it running a Heat Cycle. This could take up to a couple a hours depending on tire and conditions.
Your basically hardening or maybe tempering the rubber so it wears slower brakes better and goes faster. Its reccommended for many performance tires.

somehow I don't think this would do much. Performance tires have a lot more rubber in contact with the road, and are meant to grip the road in ways our tires aren't meant too.
The amount of rubber in contact with the road, when talking about an MT especically, wouldn't be enough to get that hot would it.
Even if it did, rubber insulates, so it wouldn't spread that much, to 'temper' the rest of the tire.

Otherwise I would think the company that makes the tire would do this in the first place.

* in my best Sam Elliot voice *

"Bee Eff Gee.

It's wut's fer dinner."

I have never heard of tempering tires.

http://www.porschenet.com/bfgtires.html

That site talks about it, but in the first sentence they say "Heat cycling, or scrubbing tires, is a very useful thing to know about." Scrubbing tires is vastly different than tempering them. Tires come from the factory with a slick coating, that was a mold release to make them come out of the mold easy. I usually see it talked about with motorcycles because new tires are slick and when you lose grip with one tire on a bike, you go down. On a car if you slip a little you dont fall over.

Another thing I doubt is tempering is usually pretty high heat. I dont think you want to be driving your Jeep hard enough to heat your tires up like that.

"The Team T/A test compared sets of tires prepared in the following ways.

Not heat cycled
Heat cycled by regular driving for 100 continuous highway miles 3 to 4 weeks in advance of the track test
Heat cycled by regular driving for 100 continuous highway miles 48 hours in advance of the track test
The Tire Rack's Heat Cycling Service 48 hours in advance of the track test
The Team T/A treadwear test results showed that non-heat cycled tires wore out in 13 laps, and that all of the heat cycled tires lasted 19 laps, or about a 50% wear improvement. The lap times confirmed that all of the heat cycled tires provided more consistent lap times that were equivalent to the best laps of the non-heat cycled tires. "

http://www.roadrunner-region-pca.org/tech/heat.htm

Sounds a bit excessive to me.

Stroketech said:
Here is what I do. Mount, Balance, Drive. I have had several sets of BFG's and they all went to 50,000 miles without any problems.

X2.

Not only on the XJ with BFG but on every vehicle I ever owned wtih the tire of my choice.
On the streets and highways, tire wear is subjective. There are too many variables to make a blanket statement about tire wear.
1) Tire pressure
2) Wheel balance
3) Wheel Alingment
4) Suspension state of repear or dis-repear
5) Load/weight of the vehicle
6) Type of road driven on
7) Speed at which the vehicle is driven
8) Road surface temperutare
9) Speed at which the vehicle is driven around a corner (tire scruffing)
10)

I would like to get my tires to last longer too. That means money in my pocket. I am not sure I want to drive for 100 miles just so my tires could get hot; well if a keg of my favourite brew was at the 100 mile marker :party: .

Don't get me wrong. This is very interesting to me. I would like to know more about this. It may be useful in the future.

Question? How hot is hot to the touch. After driving 300+ miles non stop in South Texas in the middle of summer, I don't think my tires got that hot, well, I usually do a break test by checking the temperature of the wheel rims but never the tires.
My AT/KO's have more than 10,000 miles on them. I may be just a tad too late.
:smsoap:

I'm getting the Firestone M/T's but they look similar to BFG's. Like I said its the first set of mud terrains I'll own, and I want to make them last. I always heat cycle my car tires and thought it was a good question to ask.

I could try to drive around in a circle realy fast but I'll probably roll the jeep after I get dizzy. Its not a BMW ,Saab, or SHO, any one of my Race Cars.

I'll probably go for a short drive after i get my new shoes on, and hope for the best. I wouldn't drive my Jeep long distances if I had to. my cars get twice as good gas mileage. but I have to go down to PA and visit my Pop and he wants to see what I've done to the XJ.

Thanks for the imput guys!

Back