• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What type of scanner is used on a Renix?

I use a snap-on mt2500 with the jeep adaptor and the jeep cartride. Renix doesn't store codes like an obd system. The scanner will give you real time data. I got mine off of evil bay. They are not to cheep but it wasn't an arm and a leg either.

A Multi Meter. This is a good article on Multi Meters

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/metertut/

Check this link too. It'll give you specs on how to adjust your TPS

http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/TPS.html

I have another link at work about all the renix sensors, if your still looking I'll try that on Monday. This has a bunch of write-ups.

http://www.lunghd.com/On_Site_Tech.htm

Also a good EFI link here.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/Jeep_Renix_Fuel_Injection_manual . pdf

I don't know if this violates the FSM rule, but I found it one day while searching. So, if it's a prohibited thing somebody can delete it.

Insofar as I can tell, there's only one link that may pose a problem - the RENIX EFI manual link to Pirate. I've broken that one - just remove the spaces to either side of the final period to restore after a cut-and-paste. Apart from that, I think you're fine - but thank you for thinking of us! -Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snap-On MT2500 or Chrysler DRB-II.

Most RENIX troubleshooting can be done with a DMM fairly easily, which simplifies things. DTCs aren't available on RENIX, as it is "pre-OBD" and doesn't "store" or "throw" codes.

There are, I think, two tests for which an analogue multimeter is useful - but most can be done with a DMM in a few minutes.

If you don't have one already, download a copy of the RENIX FSM - it can be had at Pirate, at strokers (groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers,) and I think someone on RENIXPower (groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower) has also upped a copy - I was trying to save space, since it was available elsewhere, but why not?

After 18 months of relentless ebay searching I found and bought a little jewel that is laptop sized and that works on any FI engine.

It is a Mattco Diagnostics engine analyser, MD59 Direct Ignition System Analyzer. Got for about $250 on EBay. It was built by Ferret analysers, who still makes this kind of unit, but the new ones are real pricey.

It measures RPM, battery volts, coil drive peak amps, build time, spark burn average, Min and Max all in miliseconds, Compression KV, and injector on time. Shows data from all cylinders on a screen. Secondary readings check spark plugs and wires, Power contribution compares cylinders output, cranking test checks cylinder compression uniformity. One of the coolest things I ever bought on ebay. Built around 1992, it sold for about $8,000 new. Whole thing is about 6" x1" X 12".

Ecomike said:
After 18 months of relentless ebay searching I found and bought a little jewel that is laptop sized and that works on any FI engine.

It is a Mattco Diagnostics engine analyser, MD59 Direct Ignition System Analyzer. Got for about $250 on EBay. It was built by Ferret analysers, who still makes this kind of unit, but the new ones are real pricey.

It measures RPM, battery volts, coil drive peak amps, build time, spark burn average, Min and Max all in miliseconds, Compression KV, and injector on time. Shows data from all cylinders on a screen. Secondary readings check spark plugs and wires, Power contribution compares cylinders output, cranking test checks cylinder compression uniformity. One of the coolest things I ever bought on ebay. Built around 1992, it sold for about $8,000 new. Whole thing is about 6" x1" X 12".

How cool Mike. I've been looking too but only halfheartedly. Glad you found one.

90Blue_XJ said:
How cool Mike. I've been looking too but only halfheartedly. Glad you found one.

I found lots of scanners like it that would work, but they were huge bulky shop space eating systems that would cost a fortune to ship.

Before I found NAXJA, I was trying to figure out why I was getting 10 mpg and only had about 50 HP, or so it seemed. Was thinking maybe the cam lobes were bad, or who knows what, but he Mattco/ Ferret macine confirmed I had a solid engine and solid ignition so I persevered and after an eternity I figured out the TPS was bad on the TCU side of the beasty. It was up shifting at like 1200 rpm so it never had any power or fuel economy, and the TCU was getting bad data.....

Since then 5-90 and some great old FSMs have tought me how to test most everything with a multi meter, and what the test results should be. Still the Mattco/Ferret can be great for finding a weak cylinder or slightly off injector or slightly off plug, or plug wire.

Ecomike said:
I found lots of scanners like it that would work, but they were huge bulky shop space eating systems that would cost a fortune to ship.

Before I found NAXJA, I was trying to figure out why I was getting 10 mpg and only had about 50 HP, or so it seemed. Was thinking maybe the cam lobes were bad, or who knows what, but he Mattco/ Ferret macine confirmed I had a solid engine and solid ignition so I persevered and after an eternity I figured out the TPS was bad on the TCU side of the beasty. It was up shifting at like 1200 rpm so it never had any power or fuel economy, and the TCU was getting bad data.....

Since then 5-90 and some great old FSMs have tought me how to test most everything with a multi meter, and what the test results should be. Still the Mattco/Ferret can be great for finding a weak cylinder or slightly off injector or slightly off plug, or plug wire.

Glad to have been of help! I don't suppose you can take a pic of the data display for me, could you? I've been looking for a scanner that can "speak RENIX" for a little while myself, leaning toward the MT2500 (I've played with one.) If this gives comparable data, I may start looking for one of those as well...

5-90 said:
Glad to have been of help! I don't suppose you can take a pic of the data display for me, could you? I've been looking for a scanner that can "speak RENIX" for a little while myself, leaning toward the MT2500 (I've played with one.) If this gives comparable data, I may start looking for one of those as well...
Sorry but it doesn't speak Renix, and does not talk to any of the different computers. It uses indirect magnetic pickups off the HV wires or the trigger wire to the ignition module that fires the coil for instance and off the Injector wires and senses all the nitty gritty timing details directly. What is nice about it is it will tell you how power balanced the engine is cylinder to cylinder, or is not, and which cylinder is not performing and in some cases why. In some ways it is better than an ECU scanner, in other ways not. It will work on any fuel injected engine with spark plug wires. Nice compliment to the DMM and AMM. Like you I am still in search of the old Jeep scanners too, or the Snap On units with the right cards, but quite frankly I have found this gadget and a DMMs and an AMMs with the FSMs are about all I need.

If you would like I can scan the manual and email you a tiff fax image.

Last edited:
Ecomike said:
Sorry but it doesn't speak Renix, and does not talk to any of the different computers. It uses indirect magnetic pickups off the HV wires or the trigger wire to the ignition module that fires the coil for instance and off the Injector wires and senses all the nitty gritty timing details directly. What is nice about it is it will tell you how power balanced the engine is cylinder to cylinder, or is not, and which cylinder is not performing and in some cases why. In some ways it is better than an ECU scanner, in other ways not. It will work on any fuel injected engine with spark plug wires. Nice compliment to the DMM and AMM. Like you I am still in search of the old Jeep scanners too, or the Snap On units with the right cards, but quite frankly I have found this gadget and a DMMs and an AMMs with the FSMs are about all I need.

If you would like I can scan the manual and email you a tiff fax image.

Hm - let's hold off on that for the moment. I just put a huge HDD in my lappy, but I'm using the space to clean up the Archives right now (I've probably freed up about a DVD worth of space from there. That's part of why I want the NAS RAID - I need room to put all of this stuff on and go through it...)

The DMM and AMM are good diagnostic tools for RENIX (I wish I had my VTVM out here - perhaps I should pick it up next time I go back home? Damn thing is as reliable as a brick...) The MT2500 with the "basic" carts and the Jeep-1 adapter are all you need for RENIX - there's no special programme involved, since it's dealing with pre-OBD and just giving realtime data. You just need to be able to make the two talk, and the MT2500 speaks RENIX.

I've got to start in on Actia Corp. again - I tracked the RENIX patents down to them, and I'm trying to get engineering info out of them. The system has been out of production for eighteen years, but I can't even get an answer out of them, dammit! Anyone close to Elkhart, IN?

Back