• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O/T: TJ Lift Party

rpraterxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang,

Looking for a few folks to help install RE 4.5" kit on Saturday, Sept. 9th. Starting around 10:00 AM'ish.

25251 Arder Court
Lake Forest, 92630

I have never worked on a TJ before, but someone told me it's just like the front of an XJ, just on both ends :) (upper & lower control arms, trac bar, coils springs, sway bar, shocks)

Should not be too hard.

I have alot of tools, but not sure if there are any special tools needed. I also have an air compressor now. Feel free to bring your own tools.

We will provide pizza for lunch. Soda and water through the day, after lift is on we can bring out the beer.....

does the TC have a SYE yet? If not and even if it did its very nice also, to just get a 1" body lift kit and either some Currie / bombproff 1" raised motor mounts. That will help your driveline a little bit. WIth 4.5" of lift and with a 1" motor lift you might be ok without a SYE for now or it may be fine all together. But without either, its not going to be very good for the rear shaft ujoints and the vibs...

You can get both for around 150 if you shop around. For the body lift you should look for a kit that comes with the radiator support snuber blocks. most dont. They are kinda easy to make and just weld in, but if you know to get a kit that has them its just that much easier.

Also, the upper CA mounts at the axle. If you didnt get new bolts with the kit, then pick up some that are slightly longer then stock. The upper U on the aftermarkets are thicker and the stock upper bolts are the Torx style. I belive that the size you want are 10mm x 85mm. Then get some nylon locking nuts for them also.

Its been a few yrs since working on my last TJ but theres maybe a little helpful info.. take it for what its worth.. Since Im a tard its prolly worthless.. :)

ROBERTK said:
does the TC have a SYE yet? If not and even if it did its very nice also, to just get a 1" body lift kit and either some Currie / bombproff 1" raised motor mounts. That will help your driveline a little bit. WIth 4.5" of lift and with a 1" motor lift you might be ok without a SYE for now or it may be fine all together. But without either, its not going to be very good for the rear shaft ujoints and the vibs...

You can get both for around 150 if you shop around. For the body lift you should look for a kit that comes with the radiator support snuber blocks. most dont. They are kinda easy to make and just weld in, but if you know to get a kit that has them its just that much easier.

Also, the upper CA mounts at the axle. If you didnt get new bolts with the kit, then pick up some that are slightly longer then stock. The upper U on the aftermarkets are thicker and the stock upper bolts are the Torx style. I belive that the size you want are 10mm x 85mm. Then get some nylon locking nuts for them also.

Its been a few yrs since working on my last TJ but theres maybe a little helpful info.. take it for what its worth.. Since Im a tard its prolly worthless.. :)

Thanks Robert. I do have an SYE on order, should be here on Friday, but not looking to have it installed by the lift crew. If we have time, maybe, but that's what Sunday will be for.

I have not considered a body lift, though several folks have recommended it.

I appreciate the info on the bolts. I will grab some grade 8 ones before lift day!

Thanks again!

Did someone say pizza?? :)

w_howey said:
Three words for you.

Coil spring compressor.

Why? I have done about 10 coil spring swaps and I would guess 5 other times of removing the coils on a TJ and Never once had a compressor and never thought that it would have helped.they are way more work then they are worth IMO...
If you have to drop the track bar adn your doing new lower control arms then its just a waste of time using one all together

Hey gang,

This is still a "GO". It may invovle a 1" body lift as well.

I am trying to get the rock rails delivered by then as well.

I have all of the lift kit, shocks, SYE, and wheels. Got to order the body lift and sliders. Tires will be mounted next week, hopefully.

I may have a few skid plates in as well - gas tank, t-case, engine, power steering box.

I will be soaking the bolts with PB Blaster this weekend.

rpraterxj said:
Hey gang,

This is still a "GO". It may invovle a 1" body lift as well.

I am trying to get the rock rails delivered by then as well.

I have all of the lift kit, shocks, SYE, and wheels. Got to order the body lift and sliders. Tires will be mounted next week, hopefully.

I may have a few skid plates in as well - gas tank, t-case, engine, power steering box.

I will be soaking the bolts with PB Blaster this weekend.

DOnt do a body lift without a motor lift! Too many things just dont line up as they should or will with the motor lift also. You can get cheapo spacers or all new mounts. A few examples are: The TC linkage will be in a binding angle without, the fan shroud will need to be moved up without, the driveline angle will not be as good as it would be with a motor lift also.

For the 70$ (thats what they were when I last checked) that motor mounts cost. Ok now 79$
http://currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=1063

ROBERTK said:
DOnt do a body lift without a motor lift! Too many things just dont line up as they should or will with the motor lift also. You can get cheapo spacers or all new mounts. A few examples are: The TC linkage will be in a binding angle without, the fan shroud will need to be moved up without, the driveline angle will not be as good as it would be with a motor lift also.

For the 70$ (thats what they were when I last checked) that motor mounts cost. Ok now 79$
http://currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=1063

Oh, sorry, I left that off of the list, but it will be ordered with the body lift.
There WILL be a motor mount install as well. Thanks!

OK gang,

Saturday will be here soon. Change of starting time: 11:00 AM. Pizza for lunch, and there will be all types beverages available :shhh:

If we go late into the evening, I will fire up the BBQ and throw burgers and dogs on...

I need to know who (how many) folks are coming. I have 3 right now for sure. I sprayed the bolts with PB Blaster a couple of days ago.

I am taking the wheels in tomorrow to get the rubber mounted. I did receive all of the items I have ordered. I will be ordering the rock rails and body lift tomorrow.

I appreciate everyones help.

BTW, the address is 25251 Arder Court, Lake Forest, 92630. my cell # is 714-319-7135.

Thanks,

bump...

Who is planning on being there?

Beverage and pizza choice?

I'll be there with the wife and kid!

Oh and I'm not picky on beer n za unless I'm paying for it. :D

Hey gang,

I am sorry for the short notice, but I am postponing the TJ lift. I did not receive the upgraded trac bar today. I have the one that came with the kit, but I am sending in back. I was supposed to receive the HD one today, but did not.

I also need to get a few other things, and maybe an axle. I will update the post once I have a firm date.

I hope you get this in time. I don't have everyone's phone number. Here is my cell 714-319-7135. Call me in the morning after 8:30 AM and let me know you got this.

Thanks and I am sorry.

Maybe we can at least get together and have that pizza?

Back