• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 = 2x4? Same concept, different subject

Dustn525

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm new to Jeeps after owning a couple of Chevy trucks. Both Chevys I've owned had LSDs, or what GM guys call "posi" traction. My Jeep's axles don't seem to switch to the other side when one side is slipping. Jeeps seem to have the rep as the flagship 4x4, so why would they build them with totally open differentials? Is it just something wrong with my rig, or I do I have to add on some aftermarket product before I hit the trails? It's a '95 Cherokee SE, AW4, NP231, and from what I've heard it has the Dana 35 rear and Dana 30 front. I'm new to Jeep wheeling. Was "posi" traction an option on these rigs? If so, what models should I swap axles from? I've searched but don't see any solid, straight foward answers. Thanks.

And no, LSD in the rear was the best that was offered from the factory in an XJ...no full lockers or anything like that.

Last edited:
JNickel101 said:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=951222

Current thread covers a lot of what you are asking....

Yeah, well that's the thread whom's title reminded me, but confused because of all the different opinions. Basically I was wondering whether the Laredo, Pioneer, Limited, Sport, or whatever else trim level I should look for in the junk yard, for an LSD/"posi" differential. I was always under the impression that Jeep would equip their vehicles with some good stuff by default. I bet alot of you guys would say to just throw in a locker, but I have to go by the cheap for now. I'm just looking to take it through some mud and some "bouncies" (my GF calls bumpy trails that) and not get stuck over something stupid like an open diff.

Nah, the different model designations dont mean anything as far as diffs go...

You'll just have to look on the tag on the axle tube/diff (which you'll have to do anyway, to make sure you get the same gear ratio as your front axle). Mine actually says "open" on it - not sure what the LSD would say (probably "LSD" or limited slip or something I'm sure).

Try to upgrade your rear axle to a Chrysler 8.25 29 spline.

Even if you find a Cherokee with a LSD, the LSD will most likely not be operational anymore. Since you have a D35 I would recommend replacing your rear axle before putting in a locker of any kind. A 8.25 29 spline would be a direct swap, but the locker options are very limited. You could get lucky and find an 87-89 XJ with a D44 in the rear. If so, jump on it. It's a direct swap and the locker, R&P, Axle, etc. options are limitless.

Jeep offered the Limited Slip (posi) called Trac-Lok on the D35 and Chrysler Sure-Grip on the Chry8.25 as an option. Trac-Lok was also part of the UpCountry Off-Road package which probably what you are thinking of for a flagship Jeep. The UpCountry package, depending on the model year, included - full skid plates, tow hooks, HD cooling, tranny cooler, Trac-Lok and upgraded springs and shocks.

Rather than swapping in a tired and worn out Limited Slip, check into a lunch-box style locker such as the Lock-Rite, Aussie or the PowerTrax No-Slip. These install in place of your spider gears and do not require that the ring and pinion gears be re-set. Anybody can install one of these in the driveway in a couple hours.

A 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 or an XJ Dana 44 would be a good bolt on upgrade from the Dana 35.

Last edited:
Dustn525 said:
I bet alot of you guys would say to just throw in a locker, but I have to go by the cheap for now..

I think the cheapest you named, Tim, is an Aussie...and by the sound of it, its not really an option for him. Although I agree with you, a lunchbox locker would be his best bet, I think he's looking for alternatives....

A new D30 Lock-rite is about $265-285 and I got a 6 month old used one shipped to me for $200. Just watch the For Sale section of the forum for bargains.

:) nice :)

Two places to look for stock LSD. There is a little tab that one of the diff cover bolts goes through, it reads something like"LSD modifier required for this axle" or something meaning that you have to buy a little tube of stuff for eight bucks at the parts store to add to your gear oil when you change it. The LSD wont work without it.
The other place to look is in the glove box. There is a cool sticker that says "CAUTION= This vehicle equipted with locking type differential. Both wheel will turn even if one wheel is in the air" This sticker is shiny and likes to peel off.

If you have an open carrier it is easy to drop in a Aussie locker or something similar. If you have a LSD carrier, you need to get a new carrier if you ever wish to install a lunchbox locker.

if you want to find a trac loc rear end the best way to find out is to look for the sticker in the glove box(well the 97+ anyways)thats how i found out i had one

My 90 has a tab on the cover that says to add limmided slip lubricant to oil. Does that mean i have Limmited slip? There has been plenty of time that one of the back wheels is in the air and get stuck. Maybe it dont work any more?

bradow said:
Two places to look for stock LSD. There is a little tab that one of the diff cover bolts goes through, it reads something like"LSD modifier required for this axle" or something meaning that you have to buy a little tube of stuff for eight bucks at the parts store to add to your gear oil when you change it. The LSD wont work without it.
Ditto, see pic

[FONT=&quot]
2igoa37.jpg
[/FONT]

srt-iz said:
My 90 has a tab on the cover that says to add limited slip lubricant to oil. Does that mean i have Limited slip? There has been plenty of time that one of the back wheels is in the air and get stuck. Maybe it don't work any more?

The best way to identify a Limited slip is to open the differential cover and look inside. If you have a sticker or diff cover tag you probably have LS.

The Limited Slip clutches eventually wear out and the Limited Slip action fades away. Once the clutches are worn out your differential act just like an open differential.

Open diff on the left, Limited Slip diff on the right.

standard.jpg

Back