• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer quit....

poorboy_616

NAXJA Forum User
Yes, I have searched....

I was driving home from the store earlier and my speedometer quit....

It's been bouncing and ticking since I got the Jeep a month ago, I figured I would fix it when the time came, well the time has come....

How much of a PITA is it to change the cable?

Keep in mind, this was a Pukegoat to AW4 swap with out cruise control....( I am hoping I might be able make a universal one to fit......if I can't find an OE piece)

It also seems that the cable that is present now is SUPER f'ing short, I am thinking they didn't swap the cables when they swapped in the AW4....

Also, how long is the cable supposed to be? Obviously measuring mine will be inaccurate....

Last edited:
I would just order one for a AW4, replace the whole unit. Are you sure its not the speedometer itself?

My 90 has been bouncing since....91.

i just did mine, piece of cake. just get a cable and say you have the aw4 and it will probably be longer.

be careful when when first pushing the new cable through firewall as you can bend it to hard and break it.

there is also a pulse generator where the cable from the transfercase joins the one from the speedo head. The pulse generator on mine locked up and the speedo stopped working...

Justin

The speedo works jst fine, I spun the head with a screwdriver and it moves smoothly....

I even drove aorund the block with the IP removed just to see if the square peg rotates, no spin, at all, period....

I was figuring that it was binding up somewhere due to the bounce and the tick....

I also noticed that I have virtually zero slack in the cable casing. Which would also explain why the cable clip broke when I pulled out the IP.....(and yes, when I can get it to go on the speedo head, it stays on....)

This seems to be a one piece cable, yet everyone says it's a two piece, may be I am just not looking hard enough for the other connection....

Oh well, such is life, I am not ASE certified for nothing.....

You will only have the pulse generator if you have cruise control. Otherwise it's a single cable, housing to t-case.

SWEET thank you!!! I have found a few, all around 100 inches in length, so I guess that would be the one....

I still need to know how much of a B :soapbox: T this will be to change....

It looks simple, but I am sure there going to be road blocks.....

Now, to just go and pick it up.....

Last edited:
I did it, I bought two. One from Lordco, one from Napa. They both still wobble and tick around 50 kmh :(

Hardest part was taking the dash apart and the gauge cluster. Rest was easy peasy. Make sure you route it so that no moving part or hot exhaust hits it.

Cool that was what I was wondering....

Shouldbe an easy fix then...

The last thing I need is a ticket, they start at $101 and go from there.....

Considering I already have some blown light bulbs, I would like to keep my tickets cheap....

No GPS here....

This is my DD so I have to get it fixed right.....

I have the new cable on order and will be here sometime early next week....

For now I can guestimate my speed using the exhaust note.....

No tach either, it would be easier with a tach, but oh well.....

hey,

if you havn't done this already, then make sure you grease the hell out of the cable with speedometer cable grease. mine came with a tube

I bought the speedo cable from advance auto. it was the cable inside the long sheath and has a large nut on the t-case end and a clip on the dash end...you can get a cut to fit one, but it was easier to buy the whole piece as one unit (looks something like this)
http://info.rockauto.com/RB/Detail2...ormanproducts.com/images/items/hwrap1/S01.jpg

pull the cable all the way out of the sheath and grease the crap out of it. I greased mine mediocre, used about 1/2 the tube of grease and it bounced. Im sure more grease would have helped. also make sure you dont kink it up too much when you route it

HTH

-Tim

I got the new one in a couple days ago, what an immediate difference...

Now that the cable has taken a set in the new route (it was coiled in a box from the dealer), it has just a hair of bounce, less than 0.5 MPH at any speed. That I wll atribute to the speedo itself....

This new cable also had plenty of lube in it right from the get-go.

for future reference you can go to Partsamerica.com and have it shipped to your door.
right around $20 and then shipping. I order a lot of stuff that the local stores dont carry, over $50 and free shipping.

I went throough both Partsamerica and Rockauto, both called me back and said that Motormite (Dorman) didn't have any in stock and would be a few weeks until they could get one.

Thats very much possible. Since I worked in the Aftermarket parts industry I did learn that Dorman doesn't produce Mass quantity of certain items unless they are very popular.

Hence the speedo cable, very rarely do they fail. SO they aren't going to produce alot of them.

I am glad that is working, but at the same time, I can't morally get away with speeding anymore..... :tear:

Back