• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-Case Drop? and Vibrations?

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
What is a good T-Case Drop kit to buy? I think I have vibration problems due to the lift I have acting as 3.5" in the back. I thought I saw someone with a video or audio clip of vibration noises or such, anyone know what I am talking about?

I don’t have the tools to do my own kit? So I am looking at a kit I can just "bolt on". Does anyone have anything bad to say about the Skyjacker one?

When installing my lift I left the stock shocks on (I have new OME on their way) but I had to get a few people to get into the jeep in order to install the stock shocks again. My guess is that my shocks are maxed out and the rear end may even lift a little more when I replace the shocks. Could this cause some problems or drive train vibration?

It vibrates more than normal in a window of 25mph to 35mph with the worst at 30mph. Also when I take my foot off the gas pedal there is some clunking going on (it feels like and sounds like it may be the rear drive shaft). I also got death wobble (I think) for the first time on the high way going 70 mph but I backed down to 55 and it stopped and I was able to go 70 to 75 the rest of the way home. Could my front shocks being close to maxed out also have caused this (I did not have my sway bar links installed, I was waiting for a part from the dealership to install them). I have the sway bar links installed now with fresh bushings.

Should I get an alignment? May that have caused some of my problems? Should I get an alignment after I get my new shocks on that will allow for correct travel of my suspension?

Any info, help or direction would be awesome!

Thanks

You can make them. They're all about the same tho. Buy it don't look back.

So the OME is a good kit also? I would imagin that there is not to much variation that can be done...

After lifting a vehicle you should always get an alignment (or DIY). After you install your new shocks you can check the alignment yourself to see if anything changed (but i doubt anything will).

If you do need to correct driveline vibes forget about the TCdrop and go with the SYE.

I dont have the cash to drop on a SYE... dont you need to get a CV rear drive shaft for that also?...

That would make my BB lift over $1,000 i am a poor college student right now. 40 or 50 bucks i can do. I only have HD springs annd 1.5" shackles..

Magus2727 said:
I dont have the cash to drop on a SYE... dont you need to get a CV rear drive shaft for that also?...

That would make my BB lift over $1,000 i am a poor college student right now. 40 or 50 bucks i can do. I only have HD springs annd 1.5" shackles..

Yes you need a new rear shaft but you can use the front shaft out of an auto XJ.

3.5" lift you shouldnt need a sye!

Get a t-case drop. All the kits do the same thing. All a t-case drop is is somthing hard, (metal, composet, rubber), and some longer bolts that acts like a spacer between your crossmember and the frame. This lessens your drive line angle.

If your poor go get 2 pieces of 3/16 1x2 rectangle tube and drill holes in a short pice and get some longer bolts and make your own drop. Ive see hockey pucks used, pieces of tube/pipe. Its really easy to do, and install.

How'd you get your 3.5 inches of lift?

you definitely need new shocks, I cant imagine the ride is very comfortable. how's your driveline angle/rear pinion angle?

99xj4x4 said:
3.5" lift you shouldnt need a sye!

Get a t-case drop. All the kits do the same thing. All a t-case drop is is somthing hard, (metal, composet, rubber), and some longer bolts that acts like a spacer between your crossmember and the frame. This lessens your drive line angle.

If your poor go get 2 pieces of 3/16 1x2 rectangle tube and drill holes in a short pice and get some longer bolts and make your own drop. Ive see hockey pucks used, pieces of tube/pipe. Its really easy to do, and install.

Please explain to me why you "shouldn't" need a SYE with 3.5"?

we all know every xj is different. it's common practice that 3.5" doesn't NEED a SYE, but it certainly never hurt. much bigger - 4.5" and you almost definitely do need it. my plan is to go to 3.5" set up all my recovery and armor, then do SYE, then go bigger...

asp387 said:
we all know every xj is different. it's common practice that 3.5" doesn't NEED a SYE, but it certainly never hurt. much bigger - 4.5" and you almost definitely do need it. my plan is to go to 3.5" set up all my recovery and armor, then do SYE, then go bigger...

With a post 96 on a 3.5" lift nobody should be told they shouldnt need a SYE. More then likley they will, keep in mind that even if you cant physically feel the vibes doesnt mean that your XJ's TC isnt damaging itself.

I have a 99 with a RE 3.5" (sitting at 4.25) and I needed a SYE.

My rear end will settle down to about 2.5" after about a month. the New HD springs and 1.5" shackles give me 20.5" in the back were I am told that stock it 17" so that would be 3.5" lift right? a guy who put one on about two weeks ago has droped .5" and expects to drop another .5" to 1" in another month or so.

I have New OME Long shocks on the way so help with that but I am afraid since the shocks are limiting the travel of the rear axle I might get a little more lift then I already have.

I do have a 1995 AW4 4x4 sport so I am hopping that the T-Case drop will solve any problems that I have.

Magus you should definetly get an alignment after lifting your Jeep. on mine i lifted it 3.5" with combo of 3" RC coils and an extra isolator for the 1/2". Its a 94 w/ an 8.25 Chrysler rearend. i still have the stock rear driveshaft and yoke, no problems yet, but i did install new ALL new u-joints on the whole truck. so that helps too. i did buy an angle finder for cheap at Lowes and checked my angles. rear was 10* at the rear of the t-case and 8* at the rear axle so those are fine cause you need to have that difference to take into account the axle lifts in the front when accelerating.

i also checked the front and the driveshaft was at 10* and front axle pinion was at 5* so i adjusted and removed shims in the front lower control arms to get the front axle at 8* which took care of the vibe i had in the front end.

so having an alignment shop check your caster and making sure all your driveline angles are good is a solution to getting rid of most vibrations, NOT ALL vibes though.

those Longer shocks you are getting will definetly help with ride quality and let your suspension work the way it should.

good luck with your truck buddy and keep us informed of the progress. let us also know what you do to get rid of these vibes you are experiencing. because it has been said Many Many times before, every Jeep is different and not everyone has the same problems after lifting.

So should I get an Alignment before get a T-case drop to see if the alignment will fix it? or shouls I just get the T-case drop and have them do a 4 wheel alignment after the tcase and shocks are installed

Magus2727 said:
So should I get an Alignment before get a T-case drop to see if the alignment will fix it? or shouls I just get the T-case drop and have them do a 4 wheel alignment after the tcase and shocks are installed

A solid rear axle can not be aligned.

Have them do the alignment done asap to prevent inappropiate wear on the tires. The shocks shouldnt effect the alignment but you can check it after the installation of the shocks. Then get the TC drop/SYE on whenever you can (also asap)

Back