• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Herculiner prep

aussiewheeler

NAXJA Forum User
Herculiner Question, yes ive searched

I know there are a ton of threads like this one, but I couldn't find any of them that answered my question, I have a manual jeep and I was wondering what to do with the metal plate that goes around the shifter boot. Mine has some dried out black foam between the plate and the tunnel and I don't know if I should take the plate off and clean out the foam and Herculine over the mounting surface or just roll it right over the metal plate. Also I have read different opinions as to what to do with the bare metal left over after grinding. Should I paint the metal and then put herculiner over the paint or put it straight on the bare surface.
Thanks,

Last edited:
Read the can of herc. I think it can be applied over bare metal, but don't quote me on it.

As for the shifter, pull the plate, clean off the foam, herc the floor under it, get some new foam with a sticky back and re-apply it the shifter......

I am preparing to do the same thign to my '87 when I have the money....

I do ALOT of driving on beach where I live, so a "hose Out" interior would be great for my use.....(just pull the plugs and hose away!!!!)

your gonna wanna sand it down and get it dull. Hurculiner will not bond to metal unless its somewhat rough to bond to. My wife and I just did the 88 and it came out great looking. if you wanna see the pics i took ill be more than happy to post em. everything from the start to the finish. Hope that helps.

aussiewheeler said:
Thanks for the help guys,

and to the last poster, It would be great if you posted some pics

Thanks again
Here's couple thoughts. I lined my interrior but I did the liner over thermal paint to cool down the floor board. The thermal paint cost me about $100 a gallon and I used half a gallon. Then I bought some two part bedliner (dries FASTER then herculiner). For the rubber/boot I had all that off and I painted over thermal paint. The thermal paint i applied over cleaned/slightly sanded metal for better adhesiveness.

Just watch out for your hootus.

13 pages of hootus "flaming"....wow...

I wont stop laughing all day...:D

Well I got one coat on tonight, I will put on another coat tomorrow. I used more Herculiner than i planned for so I will probably have to get an extra quart to do finish the second coat.

thanks for the help guys

Last edited:
I'm going to have to talk to you about this.

I'm contemplating doing this over the summer. I think it would be nice to have while wheeling (especially during the winter), but I think I may miss the carpet during daily driving. I'll have to see how you like it after awhile, and how it turned out for you.

TORX said:
I'm going to have to talk to you about this.

I'm contemplating doing this over the summer. I think it would be nice to have while wheeling (especially during the winter), but I think I may miss the carpet during daily driving. I'll have to see how you like it after awhile, and how it turned out for you.

Cut the carpet into sections so that you can remove it and throw it in without pulling the seats and all the interior stuff. I think I am going to do that over the summer.

-Alex

yeah, I plan on cutting up my spare carpet to throw in on top of the Herc. I also need to put heat shields over my muffler and cat.

Thanks for the help

Here's some pics of the final product. This is after 2 coats, There are still some areas that I didnt get very good coverage on but I will be doing another vehicle in a couple of weeks so I will use the extra from that to patch up anything that needs it.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pag...ages/5/web/3065000-3065999/3065032_1_full.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pag...ages/5/web/3065000-3065999/3065032_2_full.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pag...ages/5/web/3065000-3065999/3065032_3_full.jpg

I still need to drill some holes for Drain plugs, I covered all of the other holes and plugs so I could start fresh and put the drains where I wanted them.

aussiewheeler said:
I still need to drill some holes for Drain plugs, I covered all of the other holes and plugs so I could start fresh and put the drains where I wanted them.
If I was you I"d drill before doing the rest of the layers (if you got any left). If you don't have any layers left to do, give the herc stuff a while to harden before drilling.

Back