• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welder question

Slonopotam

NAXJA Member #1358
Re: Front bumper For Sale

Jeepxj13 said:
I'm selling a factory front bumper of a 92 xj. It has been rhino lined and has all the mounting brackets. $50 dollars
Um.... what? :twak:

Don't know what the helmet ratings mean. I use the same helmet for TIG and MIG...

with the tig I use, you pump a pedal for aluminum... maybe that's it??? I dunno...

maybe it's because TIG is brighter than MIG, but it gets brighter the hotter you make it... maybe that's it...I dunno... just giving options.

Re: Front bumper For Sale

Jeepxj13 said:
I'm selling a factory front bumper of a 92 xj. It has been rhino lined and has all the mounting brackets. $50 dollars

don't think you get that for it here... at least not in the Mod Tech forum...:cool:

most people are looking for much stronger bumpers...

I have the auto dimming one with the #10 shade. On an everage day im welding for 2-3 hours.. with both 230v and 115v welders, no tig,, And it is fine.. been doing that for well over a year now and i can still see good enough to drive..

it means that the auto darkening sensitivity is lower at 5 amps, than the others at 20 amps. it would take a tig setting to atleast 20 amps to auto darken the shield when the tip ignites. the 5 amp rating means it will basically darken even if you look up at a light bulb. good points and bad. great for the eyes for the shield to darken quikly, bad for the times when you need to take a quik peek at your work and the shop light keeps your shield darkened. sometimes looking away from the work and shop light is enough to reset the shield.
oh, and do yourself (or your eyes) a favor and get nothing slower than the 1/20,000 light speed. 1/12,000 if only totally nessesary, but i wouldnt recommend it.

Last edited:
oh, you're looking at helmets... hah. didn't click the link before :)

2stix said:
it would take a tig setting to atleast 20 amps to auto darken the shield when the tip ignites....
oh, and do yourself (or your eyes) a favor and get nothing slower than the 1/20,000 light speed.

Thanks !

Hi,

Could you answer a couple of questions more.
Manual-on feature, is it of any value ?
Also, one of Miller helmets has "4 arc sensors plus electromagnetic". Does this "electromagnetic" help and when ?

Thank you,
Andrey

I feel auto darkening helmets are a waste of cash. I bought a $200 Hutsman and eventually switch out lens for a solid#10. My favorite helmet is the $20 bargain I got at welding supply store.
I don't like the auto's cause if you get your arm or somthing in way of sensor say good buy to your sight for awhile. Also the added weight of helmet on your head for a 8 hour shift will really strain you.
Then again since welding is one of the top 5 most dangerous jobs out there, and will eventually lead to one's untimely demise, go out and blow your money on the best helmet you can and show it off.

Lens shades need to be based on the amount of amperage output that you are welding with, there are industry set standards and charts available.

There are generally two different styles of auto darkening units.
1. Uses a solar panel to sense light and create power to darken lens.
2. Other usees a solar panel to sense light but has a battery to darken lens.

I've had a miller elite at my last job. Indoors they work great, outside in the sun, no good. The new digital is supposed to have fixed that problem. Plus it has lower shade settings for cutting and grinding which is really nice. More arc sensors, the more sensitive it is.

They are a great if you have an extra 400 bucks laying around or you need to do production welding they cant be beat.

Back