• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 4.5 questions

xj 4 life

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I'm new to this site, I had a 97 cherokee with a re 3.5 kit, 31 inch tires, but now I got a new jeep.Aa 99 5 speed with 100k miles. Since I'm still in college I need a jeep that can make a 5 hour trip to school every now and then. So what I'm thinking is getting a re 4.5 and 33 inch tires. Of course with this i will be getting a driveshaft and sye in order to reduce vibes for those long highway trips. Does any body have a set up like this that they can share. I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should look into getting to help with the higway trips. But I definatly still wanna be able to wheel.

Thanks for the help
kevin

xj 4 life said:
I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should look into getting to help with the higway trips. But I definatly still wanna be able to wheel.
Gears. With a 5spd and a 4.0 you probably have 3.07 gears. Not great for highway or wheeling (ask me how I know). I have a pretty similar setup and plan on doing 4.56 gears pretty soon.

dbroudy said:
Gears. With a 5spd and a 4.0 you probably have 3.07 gears. Not great for highway or wheeling (ask me how I know). I have a pretty similar setup and plan on doing 4.56 gears pretty soon.

X2 I have a 2001 with and auto, RE4.5 and 33s. I currently have stock gearing and it sux on the hills. it will down shift going over a freeway overpass. regear as soon as you can.

well dude i gotta 95 5 speed
RE 4.5" lift kit with stock gears but i think my gears are 3.77 cause it's high output which is the towing package usually...
yah the highways a PITA but i don't do much highway driving
offroading is fine for me..
i have no vibes and no SYE

but yes 4.56 are perfect for 33's you just can't go very fast on the highway with em
the higher ratio you get, the less speed you get when going fast
you'll be really fast tilla bout 50 you'll notice you got those gears in there haha
but yah
RE4.5" kit and 33's is the nicest setup out there

hows the gas milage gunna be with 4.56....better then stock gears or worse.. and you think it be smarter to get the lift see if i get vibes then by the sye and driveshaft since somepoeple dont get vibes.?

xj 4 life said:
hows the gas milage gunna be with 4.56....better then stock gears or worse.. and you think it be smarter to get the lift see if i get vibes then by the sye and driveshaft since somepoeple dont get vibes.?

If the lift is on a 99 you the probablility of having vibes is very high (on my 99 I have a 3.5" lift with vibes). I would do the SYE and get it over with, besides it does more good then simply eliminate vibes.

Yes you will get better MPG with 4.56's

Back