• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ebay drop brackets

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
i browsing thru ebay and found these. Rocky Road Outfitters drop brackets, but the picture is of a Camanche. am i right? there only $200 about the same as RC.

and a pic of the XJ brackets
XJdropbracketA.JPG

MJ LCA brackets are different than XJ. Those look pretty nice, if you have the MJ brackets (which you can swap/weld in to replace your XJ ones, the MJ ones are beefier).

EDIT - oh i see, you made a second post w/ the XJ brackets....

I believe the MJ LCA frame brackets are the same as an XJ's. The difference is, Jeep made an add-on reinforcement bracket that came on MJ's from the factory, but not on XJ's. These reinforcement brackets used to be (still are?) available at the dealership. I purchased a pair years ago and added them to my XJ--they fit like the proverbial glove--adding nice reinforcement to LCA bracket.

Really? so those reinforcement brackets dont require that you cut off your existing brackets? Interesting....got a part number by chance? :D

No cutting required to install them on my '88. They are stamped steel that fit to the outside of the XJ bracket just like they were made to be there--fit every "wave and curve".
I looked at my old notes, but could not find any reference to the part number, or when I bought them.
However, I recall reading they are no longer available from the dealership. So, I don't know where you could find them today. Sorry.

Found it on MadXJ.com

Part numbers are: 55005148 and 55005149

I found them online via jeepoemparts.com

Right side is about $55 and left about $35 - wonder why the price difference?

spending cash on beefing up stock suspension mounts?
when you could add that money to a long arm kit?

btw, if i had seen this thread coming, i would have kept the mj reinforcment plates that i had a hell of a time removing from a mj long arm install....

The cost of the reinforcements were half of the price quoted here, by Jnickil.
Back when I installed mine, the variety of suspension kits now available didn't exist. Such mods as "long arms" were created in ones garage. Given the lack of "general" knowledge with respect to what you could safely and successfully do to a daily driver, installing the MJ brackets to the LCA mounts seemed a good idea.
In retrospect, I now regret installing them, because, as XCM pointed out, I now need to remove them! And especially at the current cost.

I didnt say I was getting them. I posted the info in case someone else was interested.

No reason to go to long arms if you're not going over 4.5" of lift. If you're staying at 3" and just want some beef for your LCAs, then I'd say its a good idea. While i did contemplate the idea for a second, I'm still up in the air about the direction I want to go with my Jeep.

I hear you. I'm at 6+ inches, with short arms. I also have home-brewed drop brackets that did wonders for the ride; however, with the short arms, you get a lot of axle deflection towards the front or rear as you articulate. The long arm system should significantly reduce that.

I'm still trying to learn/determine if there is any negative to going to long arms....

I can only regurgitate the results of a lot research, but aside from limiting the forward/rearward movement during articulation, the term "long arm" needs more refinement.
Most people tend to think of "radius arms" when you mention "long arms". Radius arms do improve articulation, but bind ever as much as the stock short arms. Also, caster changes as the front end compresses/extends, which may be a handling issue on the road; however, Fords used radius, long arms, for years, so don't think the caster issue is much of a problem.
In my opinion, a 3-link long arm, with track-bar, is the best of all worlds. The 3-link eliminates the binding that is present in both a 4-link, and a radius arm set up.

xjbubba said:
I can only regurgitate the results of a lot research, but aside from limiting the forward/rearward movement during articulation, the term "long arm" needs more refinement.
Most people tend to think of "radius arms" when you mention "long arms". Radius arms do improve articulation, but bind ever as much as the stock short arms. Also, caster changes as the front end compresses/extends, which may be a handling issue on the road; however, Fords used radius, long arms, for years, so don't think the caster issue is much of a problem.
In my opinion, a 3-link long arm, with track-bar, is the best of all worlds. The 3-link eliminates the binding that is present in both a 4-link, and a radius arm set up.

I have to agree. The radius arm setup binds very badly...something I found out the hard way. A 3 or 4-link setup where all the arms are long is definately the way to go. I don't want to remember what running 6" with short arms was like. Long arms are soooo worth the $$.

Back