• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 gear swap and locker install

benulis55

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have upgraded to 32s, going to get the 4.10s the easiest way I can

I'm going to pull a stock 4.10 front dana 30 and swap it in

I have an factory xj dana 44 so i guess i'll regear that to 4.10. While I'm at it, i would like to throw in a locker. From what i have read Aussie lockers are pretty cheap, so thats what I'll go for

how hard is it to do the gear swap? Do i need special tools? How much $$$ am i gonna have to dish out??

thanks

swaping gears is pretty tedious. the tool you will need are a dial indacator and magnetic base, calipers, a bearing puller, a press, and tourque wrenches. Just to name a few. thats why they usually charge $300 + an axle.

benulis55 said:
how hard is it to do the gear swap? Do i need special tools? How much $$$ am i gonna have to dish out??
While this isn't a D30 or D44 (for a D60), it'll give you a good idea of what's involved: BillaVista's Gear Setup

With enought time and patiance it can be done. I'll be doing my 60s in the upcoming weeks.

rogersjeep said:
swaping gears is pretty tedious. the tool you will need are a dial indacator and magnetic base, calipers, a bearing puller, a press, and tourque wrenches. Just to name a few. thats why they usually charge $300 + an axle.
300+ is usually under a vehicle. Good shops will go it for less (around $150 or so) if removed and brought to them.

ok i have access to those tools

next question

with the master install kit, is the process at least outlined??? where can i get good guide on how to do it

benulis55 said:
with the master install kit, is the process at least outlined??? where can i get good guide on how to do it

My master installs came with nothing like that.
Read the link I posted above, that'll give you almost everything you could ever need to know about Dana gear setup.

Is Randy's book pretty good/detailed/complete?

Back