• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel injector trouble

erichdajeepman

NAXJA Forum User
the other day i started my jeep in the morning to let it warm up, and it was pretty cold. when i got in to drive it 5 mins later, it smelled very strongly like gas. i took it in to my shop and started looking at it, and the #2 injector was spraying everywhere. so i bought a seal kit and put it on. and then it still leaked. so i pulled the rail off and replaced the injector. then this morning, i started it up so it could warm up, and went to check on it and #1, #5, #6 are all leaking now. they all look like they are leaking from the top. what the hell is going on?

Let me guess - 1987-1990 4.0L? The injectors have a metal lower half and a plastic upper half, right?

You'll want to replace all six, and I've heard good reports from the field about FiveOMotorsports, tho I've not used them myself yet.

Either the SBFord or OBD-I XJ units make for good replacements, and either style has a two-piece plastic body that is ultrasonically welded - vice crimped - that should not develop a leak.

However, do stop driving the rig (if at all possible!) until you secure replacements. As long as your injectors are leaking, you are effectively dumping raw fuel on your exhaust manifold - which is likely to cause an engine bay fire. Which really sucks..

Back