• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Tires?

md11fan

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i have been saving up for some new tires and just got all the money together so i picked up some 15" Ecco wheels a couple weeks back and wanted to mount some 30 or 31" BFG A/Ts. I have been told by a couple poeple that my XJ has a lift i have heard both 2" and 3" from people.

here is the heep
IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

With these pictures i wanted to get your guys opinion on if 30s are good or are the 31's the way to go (i dont plan on trimming)

30s if you don't wanna trim.

I concur. 30's would be good. Actually, 30's would be max if you don't want to trim.

I does look like it has a Budget Boost or something.

btw - BFG ATs are great tires.

E

Contact Crazyjim......he has some 30" BFG he will probably be getting rid of soon....and yes, that looks like the right setup for the amount of lift you have....

Why don't you see if someone online here would get together with you on a weekend and you could try out 31's and 30's.....depending on whos around.

I am partial to 31's but if you are dead set on not trimming......u wouldn't have to trim much, I wouldn't think. I ran 31's on a 2" BB for quite a while

silverslk said:
Why don't you see if someone online here would get together with you on a weekend and you could try out 31's and 30's.....depending on whos around.

I am partial to 31's but if you are dead set on not trimming......u wouldn't have to trim much, I wouldn't think. I ran 31's on a 2" BB for quite a while
X2
still runnin that way.
Looks like ya might have a little more room than me, could be the tires though.

were red coil springs ever stock? I have never noticed any if they were and that looks like red coils to me. Search for the stock hight measurements and compare to what you have. I know my dead stock 2wd didnt do stok rubi rims/tires, but I think it was sagging anyway.

Too bad you are not a little further East, I have 5 perfect (4 with less than 3K on them, 1 Brand new) Perilli scorpion ATRs on ecco wheels for sale. I ran BFGs for years & Can say I like the Perillis better.
I lifted higher & replaced the 30s with a Larger set of Perilli's on Moabs, 265X70X16 (About 31")

EliasJ123 said:
I concur. 30's would be good. Actually, 30's would be max if you don't want to trim.

I does look like it has a Budget Boost or something.

btw - BFG ATs are great tires.

E

How would it have a budget boost? There isn't any coil spacers. They're also red coils. Which means they are probably Rancho coils. 2.5-3" so he can fit 31's just fine.

mikedashg said:
How would it have a budget boost? There isn't any coil spacers. They're also red coils. Which means they are probably Rancho coils. 2.5-3" so he can fit 31's just fine.
Hey Mike, I didn't inspect the picture and just took a quick guess. I did say, "Budget Boost or something."

md11fan - I think we forgot to ask the MAIN questions, "What are your plans for it?" "Only a daily driver?" "Lite wheeling?" "Do you ever want to re-gear?" "Do you want to fit the biggest tire you can in there?" "Are you ever going to lift it higher??"

I think people assume that eveyone is going to lift it higher and wheel it harder and harder. However, some people have stock rigs or mostly stock rigs and wheel it as much as possibly without any plans on modifying it. Some people want the most comfort on the street. Some people go for looks. So, once you know how you want to use your rig, then I think we could help suggestions.

Honestly, fitting the biggest tire you can is not always the best option.

btw - what are you going to do with those stock tires?? I've been looking for stock Jeeps tires.. ;)

E

cds36 said:
Hey E are you still going stock on your xj?

Hey Craig,

Not to hijack this thread, but.... I "acquired" an '89 XJ and I still have my '99. I'm taking the '89 to stock. Mainly because it's was missing fenders and bumpers and it was thrashed.

??? Do you have stock parts to donate to the cause?? PM me.. :D

E

EliasJ123 said:
md11fan - I think we forgot to ask the MAIN questions, "What are your plans for it?" "Only a daily driver?" "Lite wheeling?" "Do you ever want to re-gear?" "Do you want to fit the biggest tire you can in there?" "Are you ever going to lift it higher??"

E, to answer your question i use my XJ as a DD since its only a 2wd i wasnt planing on wheeling it hard core :viking: . I also have the D35 witch im not to thrilled about, but going to find a D44 soon. I dont want a rediculus looking rig, just something that is very functional but i can also wheel on the weekends.

99XJWhitey said:
I ran 31's with a 1.5 BB for as long as I had the Jeep and didnt have any problems. I didnt wheel it, but drove it every day to work.

Did you run 245X75X16 on the Moabs in the photo?
If you did the reason you did not have any tire contact is because of the backspacing of the Moabs & the 245 are only around 9.5 inches wide. On a 1.5" BB If you ran what most consider true 31s (31X10.5X15 or 265X70X16) on stock XJ rims you would have lots of contact !!

31's n a full stuff. I eventually bent the fenders in on a hard stuff. The lift is a 3" RC - netted 4.5" in the back. I need more bumpstop, they (rear bumpstor) do not hit any right now.

BTW: whitey - your xj looks awesome w/rubi wheels - that is what i have been looking for.

PB040265-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back