• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

more info (readers rigs)

sadrifter58

NAXJA Forum User
was going though readers rigs and noticed no one says anything about sye kits on there rigs. is it just a givin? guys running 4-8 " lifts. got a 98xj and wanted to go with re 4.5 but dont know about yall, but i dont have the extra 500 plus for a sye kit.:dunno:

I have a 98 with a bastard lift of 5.5, I run the R.E. hack n tap. With 4.5 you will need a S.Y.E. to rid vibes. Bare minimum a transfer case drop. My angles are pretty good, and I still have some vibes though. Its a lifted unibody on 33's

I'm sitting at 4.5-5 inches of lift. I only have a 3/4 inch transfer case drop and no vibes. But I have had to replace some u-joints on the rear DS and I think it made my motor mounts go a little prematurely. Other thatn that its not to bad. I do have the JB conversions SYE in my living room waiting to go in

My jeep has a 6.5 inch lift and it wouldn't even back out of the driveway untill I added the AA SYE kit. It's a 92, and from what I hear everyone's jeep is a little different and some need it while others don't.

As fa as SYEs go just about every jeep is different older XJs can handle lift a little better than the (i believe) 96 and newer ones becase they redesigned the the slip yoke a bit and its a little more sensitive to lift. but like i said every jeep is different. best way to go about it is to put the lift on (which should include a transfer case drop kit) and see where u r at. if u get just a slight vibe then u may be able to just shim the differential up some and cure it for the most part but if u have the money then a SYE would be the cure-all for drive line vibes but unless u wheel it real hard then any lift under 5 inches u will be fine without the SYE unless if u can put up with the vibes. over 5 inches i would start to worry about the driveshaft slipping out while out wheeling. I have a buddy with a 96 XJ with the RE 5.5 and he still is runnin the orginal driveshaft no shims with the t-case drop kit and he is doin fine. so like i said get the lift on and see how u are and depending on how bad the vibes are (if any) then go from there on what to do severe vibes need a SYE and slight vibes may just need a t-case drop and some shims. hope that helps. oh and the reason so many lifts suggest SYEs even as low as 3.5 inches is to keep you from blaming them if u get vibes or your driveshaft slips out. also different driveline set-ups have different lengths so shorter drivelines have longer driveshafts which can handle lift better because the angles wont be as steep

Back