• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Sensor?

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well i've been battling a crank but no start issue. Out of nowhere it doesnt want to fire. So my buddy looks at it and we take out the distrib. and its all corroded, so we clean it and re install, and it starts but is mis firing and back firing like crazy. So get the new distrib and rotor button installed and she starts right up. well i drive it for about 4 days and then one night it doesn't want to start, checked fuel and i have fuel. Now im thinking CPS, So i leave it over at my buddy's house to let him look at it. He bought a new sensor for it, now its not the CPS i thought he bought, he had to take apart the distrib to get to this sensor and he replaced that one....now it fired right up and was running good other than the fact that i have autolite plugs in it :) but im wondering what senor did he change out? cuz im not familiar with it.

Yeah, the only sensor in the distributor is the cam position sensor. It works with the CPS(crank position sensor) to let the computer know what cylinder to time the injectors. If the comp doesnt get a reading from those or it doesnt jive it will just start spraying in a regular pattern wether its on the right cylinder or not.

The CranKshaft Position sensor is, more properly, abbreviated "CKP." (Yes, even I call it "CPS" - I'll get into that in a moment.)

The only sensor in the distributor is the Camshaft Position Sensor ("CPS,") but RENIX also calls it SYNC (crankshaft/camshaft position SYNChronisation sensor.) Therefore, that's what I end up calling it as well - gives it an abbreviation different enough that I can sort it out immediately.

RENIX can and do run without the SYNC signal (starting sucks...) because the ECU can "guess" which cylinder is coming up to fire until it hits. ChryCo won't guess, or is programmed not to, or just plain won't run without a SYNC signal. I've not heard of a RENIX SYNC sensor failing, but I've heard of ChryCo SYNC sensors blowing out from time to time - and, as you've noted, you have to tear down the dizzy to replace it (a good time to install new bushings as well, if you've got them available to you.)

On the RENIX I beleive its called the "SYNCH" sensor(I could be wrong, I've been up since 3am). When mine started acting up I just bought a re-man distributer and swapped it out.

Edit; 5-90 types FAST!

xjtrailrider said:
On the RENIX I beleive its called the "SYNCH" sensor(I could be wrong, I've been up since 3am). When mine started acting up I just bought a re-man distributer and swapped it out.

Edit; 5-90 types FAST!

Took me 22 years and a book and a half to hit 40-50wpm. My wife types fast - up around 135-140wpm. Then again, she's got slender, "artistic" fingers - I've got stubby little mechanic's fingers...

Back