• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Cap stuck

hagermanfolley

Builder
did a search and didnt find anything in 7 pages. I went to change my oil today, added some seafoam, ran for 5 min, drained oil, now my oil fill cap is stuck and I cant get it off. It just spins like the gas cap whe you tighten it. But this does it both directions. Has this happened to anyone before? So now Im stuck with no oil HELP.

thanks!

The previous owner popped the top off my cap--I still use it as I can still twist it on and off and it doesn't leak.

same thing happened to me... wtf is the point of it??? Do they think we're all strong men and think we'll tighten it too hard so we can't get it off later??

Pry the top part off throw in trash just use the bottom threaded half it won't leak.

Pop the top off, remove the springs, or not, fill the hole with some epoxy and put the top back on. Once the epoxy dries it won't click anymore and it will be one solid cap. DO NOT EPOXY THE CAP TO THE VALVE COVER.
Hmmm, I guess I ought to specify or sure as shooting somebody is gonna glue it to the valve cover, 'remove the cap,take it into your work bench, separate the top and bottom pieces, fill the bottom hole with epoxy and put the top back on, wait the prescribed drying time of the epoxy, leaving it on the workbench the whole time and then reinstall on the valve cover.

poorboy_616 said:
I think I like my Renix XJ more veryday...

Half twist and off comes the cap....
Oh man Renix valve covers are horrible...but you go right on liking it :D. Anything pre-96 used a cap that worked just fine and if you buy an aftermarket one for $5 the post 96 work just fine too. The Renix ones were notorious for very little blowby control and leaking past that "half turn" oil cap.

My CCV is screwed, so I don't worry about blowin by the cap...

It just drools on itself anyway...

One of these days I will get a replacement vacuum harness, CCV tube and valve cover gasket.....

Luckily it's not drooling on the driver side, so there is no smoke from the manifold....

The same thing happened to me! Ya, and what the hell is up w/the ratcheting cap??? Like somebody's gunna throw a pipe wrench on it or somethin... :rolleyes:

poorboy_616 said:
My CCV is screwed, so I don't worry about blowin by the cap...

It just drools on itself anyway...

One of these days I will get a replacement vacuum harness, CCV tube and valve cover gasket.....

Luckily it's not drooling on the driver side, so there is no smoke from the manifold....
Seriously, and this is not a knock on you for liking your Renix, when you get that replacement stuff get a valve cover from a 93-95 XJ or ZJ. They look almost identical to your Renix one but have bigger CCV elbows. You will thank yourself later and a lot of that CCV blowby problem you have will be gone.

Back