• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242v231

alopeks

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '99 2wd that I'm in the (slow...) process of converting to 4wd. My question is what are the pros/cons of each of the Tcases available in the later years. I know the 231 is more common, but I've never really heard anything bad about the 242. Any preferences? Anything I should watch out for? Thanks!

-alopeks

Go for the 242 if you routinely drive in slippery (ice, sand, water) conditions. Go for the 231 if you are like the rest of us.

Let thy Search button be your friend.

The primary advantage of the 242 is that is has the FT4WD option. Basically, it acts like an AWD car, allowing you to run in 4WD on the street without binding. Pretty nice.

I believe, and I'm likely wrong on this, that the rear output shaft on the 231 can be upgraded to a stronger version if you install a slip-yoke eliminator. Also pretty nice.

If I were building a mild Jeep - a street warrior and occasional wheeler, I'd probably choose the 242 for its additional flexibility. If I were building a monster, I'd choose the 231.

That all said, I have a 231 in my Jeep, and I'm very happy with it.

I too have the NP231 in my 87. I also wheel on the sand here in Long Beach (WA, not CA), and have no troubles with mine....

You may also want to consider getting a locking rear differential. I have the LSD fromt he factory and it works well for what I do, though the are some situation where I wish it had a little more "Locking" power.....

i had the 231 in my 88' cherokee when i had it. the previous owner and i both used the part time 4x4 on highways that were partially icy or snow covered but didn't really worry about switching in and out of 4x4 all the time if we hit some dry pavement. with almost 500,000km's on that transfer case it is working fine...... I'm sure the 242(which i have now in my new jeep) is more suited for that kind of use but i also think that people exaggerate what can and can't be done with the 231.

Well, here's my problem... I'm in a position to buy a 242 that's actually in good shape _and_ in my price range, but I almost never see anything in the aftermarket for upgrading it. I would love to know that if I do spend the time and money to convert everything, that I won't have to turn around and swap out the Tcase a few months down the road because I was too short-sighted to realize it wasn't enough. At the same time, I would also love to get the conversion over with soon, and that means that funds are a CRITICAL component. Suggestions?

The 242 doesn't have the same aftermarket support, period. Want an SYE? You need a hack and tap. Want lower ratios? Not sure if there are any.

If you'd be fine with just a 242 and a hack n tap SYE, go for it! I know I will be.

Well here is a vote for the 242. I have one in my Jeep and have been very happy with it. When I lived in the Ga mountains I used it every winter for slick conditions and it was wonderful. Now that I am out of those conditions and live closer to the beach I use the full time option less but like having the option which the 242 affords me. I have over a quarter million miles on it and not a seconds trouble. Did the HnT and it was a breeze on my buddy's rack.
Again as others have pointed out it is personal preferance.

I'm going to convert either my 98XJ with it's 5 speed tranny or my 97TJ, have not decided yet, but right now I can't afford it anyway. I'd kind of like the TJ with full time 4wd in the winter. I'm also collecting parts to convert our 97ZJ to a 5 speed.

I love my 242 Selec-trac system. I rarely use the FT tho as soon as I hit the dirt im still in 2wheel untill I need PT 4wheel. I don't like traveling in FT but I haven't had any problems in the snow or icy roads.. and prob wont becuase this thing just never stops.

I live in the Chicago area and with some of the weather we get around it's really nice to have! I run mine in 4FT all of the time wet or dry with no problems until recently when the front u-joints started getting tired. It's a little notchy right now and I have to put into 2wd for tight, u-turn type manuvers, but that's it for now.

Ive always heard that the 242 is harder to do a SYE for, and isnt as "strong" as the 231...

But i dont think were talking stronger as in D35 vs D44...

I personally have the 231, and i use part time in the rain and snow i just have to remember to dis-engauge before turning. Its probably not a "good" thing, but i have dont this for several years without instance.

Would i like to have the 242... maybe.. i know at this moment in time im very happy with the 231 though.

If i had it i probably would love it, but since i dont ... i do not think its worth the effort to swap it out for the 242 since the 231 does just fine.

mattbred said:
What are the MPG differences from running in 4-Full Time all the time vs 2-High?

With the driving I do I tend to get as good if not better mileage in 4FT over 2wd. I also discovered that in a strong winds the truck gets better mileage in 4 wheel. Once recorded 17mpg in 2wd on the interstate with the whole family in the truck on I-80 driving through Iowa. I put the truck in full time and mileage jumped to 19mpg and was easier to drive in a straight line too!

Back