• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank Pulley Sounds

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
As the subject says, it seems I am getting some odd noises from my crank pulley. It isn't so much a vibration, at low speeds, but at higher RPM's I can't hear it anymore so I don't know if its still there or not.

Anyway, at idle it sounds like a constant scraping sound, very light as if the pulley had a high spot on the back side of it rubbing on the block. I can't see anything there, but I do notice a small amount of movement/wobble when looking at it from underneith.

I have no clutch fan or pulley for it, so the belt runs directly to the alt from the crank pulley. Don't think that would contribute to anything though.

Thanks for any thoughts, help on the subject.

i'm pretty sure when your crank pully/harmonic balancer (we're talking the same thing, right?) "wears out", it starts backing into the timing chain cover....that could be the metal scraping you hear....

99XJWhitey said:
if you're absolutely positive that its coming from the harmonic balancer? or could it possibly be your water pump?

I am pretty sure its the crank pulley/harmonic ballancer. I have moved my diagnostics tool (ear) around the engine compartment. I can see movement/wobble in the pulley, and its the only area I hear anything out of the normal. I thought of the water pump, and/or ps pump (which is also nearing its end I think)
If under the compartment, I can certainly hear the scrapping coming from the crank pulley area.

So, now that I have determined it could be and should be the crank pulley. What are my options for repair?
Is this a buy new piece, replace the isolater as per tag's thoughts, or something I should be taking to the mech?
Thanks for the help already given.

if you have a harmonic balancer puller you can do it in aboot an hour. If you don't have one you can buy on from just aboot anywhere. Pretty straight foward job. A harmonic balancer for that should'nt be much more than$50 bucks. Take it somewhere and you'll have to where some lip stick to get a good deal.

cherokeedriver420 said:
if you have a harmonic balancer puller you can do it in aboot an hour. If you don't have one you can buy on from just aboot anywhere. Pretty straight foward job. A harmonic balancer for that should'nt be much more than$50 bucks. Take it somewhere and you'll have to where some lip stick to get a good deal.

hahahaha... touche... apparently no one else caught what was going on there.

oh don't worry I got it, y'all are some funny. You forgot to toss a few 'eh' in there tho, its a s versitile as 'f*ck' when used in its proper form.

I think I will order a new one, I prefer replacing pieces than just re-tightening them. After 260k I figure re-tightening is just a temp fix, so a new piece can't hurt.

Anything else I can do while I have the front clip off? New belt, new pulley, would a new timing change or anything else be usefull while I am in the area?

tag said:
After 260k i'd change the chain sprockets and tensioner........

is that under the timing cover?
I have a new crank pulley on order, had thought of getting a new chain, gasket and such... sprockets I will add to the list and a tensioner too.

thanks

Yeah , all under the timing case cover when you fit the tensioner just use the tensioner shoe part remove the c clip and it comes straight off the bracket, if you want to fit the new tensioner bracket you will have to remove the sump i didn't bother........ good luck

Back