• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exoskeleton??Ideas??

1sickhick

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone around here have any info on this?I searched came up with little.Any info would help.I have started building a "Halo" and just pickup some rock rails "thanks Greenbeltxj" would like to tie it all in.I have some ideas but would like more.Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

JACK

Talk to Jeremy, Matt, and Michael...OD something or other, ixnay, and 2xtreme. They'll be able to point you in a direction. EXOs are difficult in a Cherokee due to no frame. If you're going to use the sliders as a base, I'd reinforce them heavily. Those 8 bolts aren't meant to sustain all that weight or force when used as such.

mud1059 said:
Talk to Jeremy, Matt, and Michael...OD something or other, ixnay, and 2xtreme. They'll be able to point you in a direction. EXOs are difficult in a Cherokee due to no frame. If you're going to use the sliders as a base, I'd reinforce them heavily. Those 8 bolts aren't meant to sustain all that weight or force when used as such.

Ya I am going to make the slider to fram connections a "U" style to wrap both sides of the frame.Thanks for the info.

JACK

I think if you are going to tie an exo into the sliders they need to be welded into the rocker. If you just bolt them in they will move a little bit when hit hard, and movement will break welds.

There are a few builds in advanced fab if you search the NWHBC I believe that was in the title of the thread by BLKXJKRAWLR (Ryan I know I just screwed that up, sorry) 2XTREME, OD-XJ, XJourney.

They built two beautiful inner-exo cages, similar to the one that IXNAYXJ has in his jeep.

-Alex

edit: Thrasher hit it right above me.

Ba-Riedo said:
edit: Reido-Thrasher hit it right above me.
Fixed :jester:

Also look for info on rocker replacement. Mine are modeled on Jeremy's - OD-XJ. 3" x 6" 3/16" steel sq tube. Cut the rockers open and weld the tube to the pinch seem and to the outer edge plus a few 2" x 2" pieces on top plug welded through the door sills. Jeremy has also added some gusseting / supports back to the uniframes for additional weight... I mean strength.

This should definetly be in the Mod Tech sections. You will get significantly more help and info there.

As has been stated before. DO NOT use rock sliders as structure for a cage! Rocker Replacements with additional support (like Jeremy OD-XJ did) is a key for the strength that is needed.

Personally I don't believe in full Exo cages, only because there is next to no structural support with them but if you do want to go this way, do LOTS of research.

In order to really provide more info you really need to consider why you want a cage and what the priority of the cage is.

HTH,
Michael

Is the intent here to run this rig on the street? I don't know myself, but some of the toyota boys over here are saying that xo's are not street legal in WA and they've gotten tickets for them. ??? Don't know myself, but just thought I'd throw that out there as a consideration.

sams88 said:
Is the intent here to run this rig on the street? I don't know myself, but some of the toyota boys over here are saying that xo's are not street legal in WA and they've gotten tickets for them. ??? Don't know myself, but just thought I'd throw that out there as a consideration.
The land rover defender 90 comes stock with them.I've seen a few around here.I've also seen some yota's.Good looking out though.I'll check in to that.

JACK

1sickhick said:
The land rover defender 90 comes stock with them.I've seen a few around here.I've also seen some yota's.Good looking out though.I'll check in to that.

JACK

The D90 is NOT a standard Exo. It is tied directly into the body structure of the vehicle. It is designed more as a protection halo, roofrack than anything else.

The inherrant issue with Exo's is "A" tieing them into the frame (none on a XJ) and providing any triangulation structure to the vehicle.

mud 1059 said:
lol, so his rig never looks like mine
I am willing to bet that with a simple homebuilt exo there would have been almost NO differance to the outcome of your Jeep :D On the other hand with the rear hatch and a decent built Interior cage I suspect it would have faired significantly better ;) But these are just my guesses.

Michael

1sickhick said:

JACK

Not intending to hijack thread, but the comment on xo's being "stock" on a vehicle doesn't in itself signify anything... lots of behicles are sold new "stock" from the dealerships and still aren't legal ie taillight lens covers, no mudflaps, etc., running boards sticking out over 4", and so on.

But, regarding the xo's, I haven't seen anything regarding them being illegal in the state code, but then maybe I'm not looking in the right place or reading it correctly. Just thought I'd mention it though in case the vehicle would be a streeter to boot. I also don't personally know or have talked to/with one of the people that has been ticketed by an enforcement officer for an xo cage, or know. But then too, different cops seem to interpret the same thing differently sometimes also. :)

So I was hoping that someone in the know, would cite the code if it in fact does exist, or the section that is being interpreted as to not allow xo's. :)

So after about a month or so of reserch I decided this is a little out of my
abilaty.So I'm asking for HELP!.Those of you who have experiance I could use you.What kinda pipe did you use?Bending method?"Harbor Freight bender"?I've read & read read the thread on NAXJA.There's good info there but I,m not a book learner.
I need experiance on my side.Those of you who have this Exo/cage could I come look at it some time?Thanks

JACK

I am more than happy to show you my cage in detail and spend some time discussing it's design (strengths and weeknesses). I would prefer to do this at an event like NW Fest or similar if that works for you?

Jeremy and I's cages are built with Tube (1.75" .120 wall HREW). I suspect Matt's and now Alex's are the same material, although I am not certain.

Here are a few pointers:
1. Cages are 75% design and 25% build (and the build process is NOT easy).
2. In order to design the cage you need to understand exactly WHY and WHAT you want the cage to do.
3. Material and structure need to work together to provide the right weight and strength that is worth while.
4. You can bend Tube with a Tube Bender (not cheap) and Pipe with a Pipe Bender (much cheaper).

Does this help?
Michael

2xtreme said:
I am more than happy to show you my cage in detail and spend some time discussing it's design (strengths and weeknesses). I would prefer to do this at an event like NW Fest or similar if that works for you?

That would be great.I'll be looking forward to it.Thanks:yelclap:

JACK

Back