• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Tensioner bolt

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
I decided to change my worn, dry rotted belt out today before it snapped on the highway. I happened to break the long bolt in the tensioner, took the pump out and got the broken bolt out, cleaned the threads of the piece it threads into and there fine. So where do i get this bolt? because nowhere aroung here has anything close in metric and it is metric. I thought threaded rod but again no one carrys metric. Going to try Fastenal tommorow before i pay $75 on a stealership bolt thats not even platinum or 24 karat gold plated. Anyone have a solution to this problem?

duct tape haha, i usually go to home depot or lowes for my bolt needs, ive never had any problem finding one there

redneckboarder said:
duct tape haha, i usually go to home depot or lowes for my bolt needs, ive never had any problem finding one there

Apparently you have never needed this bolt.

Lowes, Trader Horn, Advanced, Auto Parts Superstore, TSC, North State, none of them carry anything metric over 2 inches or if it is only the first inch is threaded and there still too small.

94XJ2door5speed said:
Apparently you have never needed this bolt.

Lowes, Trader Horn, Advanced, Auto Parts Superstore, TSC, North State, none of them carry anything metric over 2 inches or if it is only the first inch is threaded and there still too small.

As a standard (I feel like I've covered this recently...) a long screw is only threaded to three times the nominal diameter.

On RENIX, this screw is 5/16"-18, fully threaded (I don't recall the length, but I think it's around four inches.) "Fully threaded" long screws are a "specialty" item, and you'd be better off going to a dedicated fastener supply house.

In a pinch, you can also use a section of threaded rod, and weld or braze a nut on it for a head. You can also put a nut on, drill through, and pin the thing together.

Later models may be metric - meaning they could be M8-1.25. If it's that metric size, the two are commonly confused (5/16" is very close to 8m/m, and 1.25m/m pitch is around 18 threads per inch.)

If you still have the section that has broken off, you can use that to determine the pitch of the thread for certain.

Its metric trust me i tried that exact standars pitch and it only gets about 2 threads in and then stops. i apollogize for not searching i wasn't even thinking before i posted this. Very frustrated i have to try to track down a bus to get to class tomorrow.

Mine snapped off inside the adjuster block(the thing the pulley bolt tightens down in) Here is what i did, but you may not have access to these tools.

I drilled the old bolt out and realized the threads in the block were bad(m8x1.25) so I drilled the block out with a larger bit(5/16") on the drill press and re-tapped the hole to a 3/8x16 size. I went to the local hardware and bought a 12" piece of 3/8x16 all thread(threaded rod). I cut the all-thread down to 8" long, tappered one end(where it goes into the lower end of the bracket) with my angle grinder and welded a nut to the other end. I re-installed it and it works great- no issues.

If your adjuster block still has good threads in it and you dont have access to a welder;

You can buy m8x1.25 all thread at most hardwares. Taper one end down with a grinder and then cut it to 8 1/2"s long(leave a little extra because you will need it to double up some nuts) and double (2) m8x1.25 nuts on the other end(some loctite will help as well). Re-install it.

Hope that helps

jeep pox said:
ace hardware has any and all bolts thats where i get my metric bolts
They will have the m8-1.25 all-thread but they will not have a 8" long all threaded bolt with a tapered end on it. Its dealer, junkyard or home made on this bolt.

i finally broke down and had to go to the dealer when i broke mine. dont have part # but it was like $17 or 18. i looked everywhere before i gave them my money but in the end i got it

5-90 said:
Could someone give me a length on that metric screw? I've got a RENIX screw around, and I may dig a few up to add to the line (I've just got all RENIX, and I'd like to make sure rather than get "about the same" screw length...)

Its 8"(whatever that converts to in metric) long from shoulder to the end of the taper, and is all-thread except the last inch or so.

At Chrysler Parts Direct....

Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
34202480 $16.70 $0.00 $13.53
BOLT HEX FLANGE HEAD

You don't need the bolt. My 93 Jeep doesn't have it, and has been running fine without it for the past 5+ years i've owned it (and probably longer than that). Of course, it makes it a lot easier to tension the belt, but you can do it without the bolt.

Back