• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird popping noise

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
I get a popping noise from my drivetrain as I slowly go to a stop.
I only happens once every so often and I don't see any pattern.
Jacked it up, looked around, Ujoints good, tires rotate freely,
Ran it on jacks no noise.
Any ideas?

falcon556 said:
I get a popping noise from my drivetrain as I slowly go to a stop.
I only happens once every so often and I don't see any pattern.
Jacked it up, looked around, Ujoints good, tires rotate freely,
Ran it on jacks no noise.
Any ideas?
your driveshafts, you need an sye...wut lift r u running?

I started hearing this about a year ago. Only happened when in 4x4, and only after about 15 minutes of driving. Changed all the u-joints on the drive shafts (3), no change.

Recently found out the fluid level was low in the NP242 t-case, 4x4 won't engage anymore. I think it was the NP242 making the poping noise, maybe the chain after the transfer case got hot.

muckleroy said:
I started hearing this about a year ago. Only happened when in 4x4, and only after about 15 minutes of driving. Changed all the u-joints on the drive shafts (3), no change.

Recently found out the fluid level was low in the NP242 t-case, 4x4 won't engage anymore. I think it was the NP242 making the poping noise, maybe the chain after the transfer case got hot.

It only does it as I slowly come to a stop, OK at every speed 2x2 or 4x4.
My TC is a 242, oil good, smooth getting in and out of 4x4, I'd be very surprised if there was something wrong with it.

Loose control arm bolts or bad control-arm bushings?
EDIT: Nevermind; I reread that you said drivetrain noise.

idk what you wheel but my cherokee used to do that sometimes still does but it lessened alot when i pulled out the pitch shims from under the leafs and retightened all my suspension. also try greasing up everything.

is it an actual pop sound or weight shifting? my experience is ujoints for a pop and trans/motor mounts for weight shifting. how many miles you have?

tsill said:
is it an actual pop sound or weight shifting? my experience is ujoints for a pop and trans/motor mounts for weight shifting. how many miles you have?

As I slow down it may pop once or a few times, when I get multiple pops they feel like they are synchronized to the turning of the drivetrain/wheels. I thought it it might be the brakes, checked, nothing unusual.

tsill said:

This weekend I'll do a lot more checking including items you gentlemen mentioned, honestly, I don't think we have found the problem yet.

Mine did the same thing and it turned out to be the motor mount. Apply the parking brake, put it in gear, apply the service brakes and hit the gas, if it is a mount, you will hear it. If you do hear it, have someone watch under the hood as you do it to help narrow it down.

88 Wagonman said:
Mine did the same thing and it turned out to be the motor mount. Apply the parking brake, put it in gear, apply the service brakes and hit the gas, if it is a mount, you will hear it. If you do hear it, have someone watch under the hood as you do it to help narrow it down.

I checked the mounts under the hood recently, I'll check them again along with the third mount.

I checked the mounts under the hood recently, I'll check them again along with the third mount.
Mine looked like brand new, but the rubber had seperated and I could not tell until I put the motor under a load. Third mount can be checked the same way, and very possibly the source of your trouble. Happy hunting:eeks1:

88 Wagonman said:
Mine looked like brand new, but the rubber had seperated and I could not tell until I put the motor under a load. Third mount can be checked the same way, and very possibly the source of your trouble. Happy hunting:eeks1:

Thanks.

Back