• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guess who they're talking about

johnnyc

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
A buddy sent me this from a Range Rover forum.

The poor FJ guy had to hear it when he got a flat yesterday... Actually the tire itself was fine, but a small flying stone dented the valve stem on one of the wheels, causing it to start leaking air. Talk about a freak accident! Anyway, as he was replacing the tire all of us Land Rover owners standing behind him were going "See, I told you these Toyotas were no good off road..." But seriously, that's a very capable platform, for about $28K loaded with all the heavy duty factory toys it's hard to beat (I figured the guy spent at least another 10-15Ks on aftermarket mods, though.)

Speaking of modified trucks, we also ran into an incredible looking Jeep modded like a true rock crawler, with 38" tires, roll cage and monster lift, stranded on that same trail. Another small rock had jumped up deep under the frame on a fairly mild stretch of trail and punctured his brake line, which was leaking copiously. The guy ended up pounding and pinching and zip tying the busted line against the frame until the leak stopped, but he lost his rear brakes in the process. I think he made it back down OK, we didn't see him anymore after he took off mumbling "Oh well, rear brakes are overrated, anyway"... Another freak accident, but I guess even the meanest and most armored off-road vehicle out there has an Achille's heel somewhere.

This was the group of guys we saw on Gold Mountain on April 5.

Can you eyeball the difference between 37 and 38 inches? :)

This is not a Rover-bashing thread. There's one going on in OT right now. ;) These guys were pretty cool. They saw us and pulled over to let us by. Then while we were on the talus slope, they took the bypass and ended up in front again. But they pulled over once more to let us by.

That seemed to be the motto of the day. "(insert Jeep part here) are over-rated anyways".

i was joking johnny im not bashing rovers, it was more a tounge in cheek remark because of the rover thread in OT ;)

hmmm eyeball the difference? yes... with my MICROMETER EYES! :eyes:

:D

TheWarWagon said:
They're called "eyecrometers"
Calibrated eyecrometers

xjohnnyc said:
Can you eyeball the difference between 0.37 and 0.38 inches? :)

[/B]

He's used to lookin' at small things.:eyes:

ruggedjeep said:
oh man, good thing they didnt see my exhaust fall off...

Well, I don't think they were going anywhere near John Bull. :) Here's a video of the LR3 going up Gold Mountain that day.

Warning: Only watch this video if you're really, really bored. (And I'm not bashing. At least they were out wheeling.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcnc6TQjJc

GrimmJeeper said:
santa? i thought he was on 37s. stupid land rovers. :D
GrimmJeeper said:
i was joking johnny im not bashing rovers, it was more a tounge in cheek remark because of the rover thread in OT ;)

hmmm eyeball the difference? yes... with my MICROMETER EYES! :eyes:

Haha...see Grim...I told ya!!! :laugh3:

That was me they were talkin about and the guy that tells ya he has never broken on the trail is liein to ya,they were very nice and offered there help and I could not care less what they were drivin, we were out there wheelin and havin fun,Rear brakes are overrated......SANTA

4xSanta said:
,Rear brakes are overrated......SANTA

That is because your rear axle is a plow and it'll slow you down :illegalflipoffsmilie:

cracker said:
That is because your rear axle is a plow and it'll slow you down :illegalflipoffsmilie:
Oh dang!

Back