• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switching from open to closed cooling?

classic truck

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1987 Jeep Cherokee WITH THE 4.0 and an auto transmission. What parts does it take to make it an open cooling system? I know i need a newer radiator, but what other parts do i need?

Thank you for the help......

I personally wouldnt do it, but alot have .. and some of those now would like to switch back to the closed. The only reason i would consider going to the open is to get rid of the coolant pressure bottle that just plainly sucks for being plastic.
The closed system is great IMO... it probably just needs some TLC in your case..

If your stubborn and really want to swap, then start searching this forum, its been covered many many times.

You don't have to buy a new radatior. Go to the junkyard and look for a dakota or durango with a 4.7 in it. Take the cap and place in the higher hose. I did this on my v8 conversion since I could get the pressure bottle to work. In the picture is a part of stock 5.2 hose and mostly a stock 4.0 hose.

2523955_44_full.jpg

Muad'Dib said:
I personally wouldnt do it, but alot have .. and some of those now would like to switch back to the closed. The only reason i would consider going to the open is to get rid of the coolant pressure bottle that just plainly sucks for being plastic.
The closed system is great IMO... it probably just needs some TLC in your case..

If your stubborn and really want to swap, then start searching this forum, its been covered many many times.

I agree

I wouldn't do it, my closed system works too efficient if there is such a thing. Go to the dealer and get a new bottle(don't buy the cheap non-dealer bottles they will not last), and all of the heater hoses that are form fit and replace them. Use good quality upper/lower hoses(I use Gates). Replace the T-stat with a "drilled" one and make sure the water pump is good. Burp that baby and enjoy it!

Now if you need a new radiator then you may have a valid argument for changing over, cost is about the same both rads.

While you are change the radiator just keep the closed system and replace that silly football bottle with an aluminum tank from "Mac's" radiator shop. Thats what I did and the Jeep can sit in traffic for hours at gridlock with the A/C blasting and never overheats. The closed system rocks without that silly bottle. Try this site. About $120 and your worries are over.
http://www.macsradiator.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=28&hs=1

Back