• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your thoughts on chain

Ray H

NAXJA Forum User
I keep hearing people say "chain is dangerous to use to pull or anchor a vehicle. Im not sure I understand the reasoning behind this. Personally, I trust chain more than I do cable or a strap. if chain breaks, its got enough weight that it will just fall and not whip around like winch cable or strap. Chain cant (generally) be damaged so unless its been seriously beat on or is badly corroded, its always near 100% strength, something I cant say about most peoples winch cables (including mine).
Ive always carried 15' of 3/8" chain to augment winch cable and strap. A couple years ago I was at an off road park and was digging in my Jeep for something and there was a park guide there. he told me chain was dangerous and wasnt allowed in the park. I didnt bother arguing, I just shook my head and said fine, whatever. I hear people say "chain is bad" and I just dont get it.
I think its people that relate the metal hooks on a tow strap to the metal chain and somehow come to the conclusion that all metal is bad.
im not saying chain is a replacement for cable or a strap, all Im asking is why is it not safe to use to augment with.

i dont have a good reason why, but i carry straps cause they're easier to use, lighter, take less space up, and dont scare me as much when pullin someone out

With enough tension even your chain will fly...

Or even a more realistic point.. You've heard the cliche about weakest link; well if that weakest link on the chain pops IT can fly causing some havoc.

As stated above I also carry straps (I actually always have two), two straps are lighter than one chain for sure!

(I do have a metal winch line.. When it starts looking dodgy I will probably replace it with a synthetic rope.)

Chain transmits 100% of the shock load to the load....that can cause all kinds of problems. A strap will strech and allow the shock to be absorbed and therefore os much kinder to the load. As far as using a chain and a strap...BAD idea....if anything lets go, the chain will become a projectile due to the elastic nature of the strap, same with a steel winch cable. Chains have thier place as a binder, not as a recovery tool.

HTH

Rev

I use to use them all the time when I played in the mud and was stupid. We also busted a couple. They did not just fall when it happened either. A couple trucks have a nice series of dents in the tailgate from busted flying chain. Got one link that busted hanging on my wall from one that went flying, makes a good reminder. Straps are safer, pick up a good snatch strap, take care of it, and toss the chains.

Ok, after some research it would seem that a chain will not always "fall" they can and do recoil if they break under load. I was skeptical of this because of their weight. I still think chain is safer than steel winch cable and there is a proper use for chain as a static anchor, not to be used to pull or tug a vehicle.

its mostly because a chain or cable will cause alot more damage to people or property if they break under tension. They carry alot more energy when flying through the air and are made of metal.

What would you want to get hit with, a steel rope or a cloth rope?

fordtech said:
its mostly because a chain or cable will cause alot more damage to people or property if they break under tension. They carry alot more energy when flying through the air and are made of metal.

What would you want to get hit with, a steel rope or a cloth rope?

niether.

Ray H said:
... there is a proper use for chain as a static anchor ...

Exactly. I have used it before to anchor my vehicle while winching something that would have otherwise dragged the vehicle. I have also used it to drag logs out of the woods, or off the trail, on numerous occasions. And one time, there was a small log across the trail (about 6" diameter) that was frozen into the bank on either side. My buddy pulled it out with a strap, but it went flying when it broke loose and almost hit his truck. A chain would have better because the shock would have broke it loose without all that stored energy in the strap. So, to sum up ... chain does have it's place on the trail, you just have to know where and when to use it properly.

Factual and sad but true story....A friend of mine has a grove caretaking business...one day a truck got stuck in the sand...one of his employees hooked a chain up to pull the truck out...chain broke...flew through the rear window and took off the top of the guy's head...dead and done...it's straps and snatch ropes for me..

totalled a guys f-150 once that decided he was going to drive into a swamp and got stuck. he was sort of sideways from where i was pulling him from and after about 5 good pulls you'd look down the side of the truck and couldn't see the bed because the frame was twisted. needless to say i hauled ass out of there before he noticed.

my buddy works for the tow company that had to come get him out and he said they ended up having to total the truck from the bent frame and the crack in the block.

keener said:
A tow strap will also stretch so you can take a run at it when trying to yamk someone out of a mud hole.

I never said I wanted to use a chain to replace a strap. I said quite the opposite.
A strap is the proper tool to pull or yank someone. I understand how to use the tension stored in a strap to help yank someone.
The reason, and proper use, for carrying a section of chain is to either extend the winch cable, anchor the vehicle or use with the hi lift.

Ok, I did compare the chain to a strap in my first post and it does read as if I wanted to pull or yank peaple with the chain. That wsnt my intention, just poor wording on my part, sorry.

Last edited:
Ray H said:
I never said I wanted to use a chain to replace a strap. I said quite the opposite.
A strap is the proper tool to pull or yank someone. I understand how to use the tension stored in a strap to help yank someone.
The reason, and proper use, for carrying a section of chain is to either extend the winch cable, anchor the vehicle or use with the hi lift.

Ok, I did compare the chain to a strap in my first post and it does read as if I wanted to pull or yank peaple with the chain. That wsnt my intention, just poor wording on my part, sorry.

I carry a chain just for this reason ... Never to connect 2 vehicles.

And i have seen broke chain go through windows and leave a nice chain scar on sheet metal.. You could see each and every link inthe chain on the back of the Van doors.

Ray H said:
I still think chain is safer than steel winch cable

That is why you always connect winch cable with the hook pointing UP (if the hook itself breaks the cable will want to recoil toward the ground) and always weight your cable to encourage it to go DOWN if snappage occurs.

Back