• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cylinder Head Condition

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
How much can you tell just by looking at the valves with the manifolds off but the head still on? I should have done some of the other tests while the engine was operational (compression, leak down, etc.), but this is where I'm at now and I'm trying to decide if I should just have the head rebuilt since I'm almost all the way there anyways. Here are some pics, just click the thumbnail. One of the exhaust valves looks different than the others, I'm wondering if that means it's a burned valve. Engine has 150K on it. TIA.
[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563119602HERIcL][/URL]

You can still do a compression test if you still have the manifolds off. Looks like you have either some bad valve seals on the intakes or have quite a bit of blowby.

I replaced my exh manifold a short while ago on my 88 with 170K. Here's the #1 & #2 intakes (you can see #2 exh).
IMG_0003Medium.jpg

and #3 & #4 exh .
IMG_0004Medium.jpg

Back