• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 XJ - 4x4 Not working, weird issue

wadewells

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Per my last threads, this Jeep has some very strange problems. A ton of gremlins....

My latest :

The 4 wheel drive kicks in, the shifter works, the case makes the DS turn when its on, and stays stationary when off. So it looks and seems the 4x4 would be working. When I start wheeling, the front tires do not spin. As if they have no power behind them. I wheeled before I put the 4.5" and 33's on and I know for a fact it worked. Now, nothing.

Any ideas?

No noises, other than some rubbing when at weird angles or turning very hard.

-Wade

Do you have a disco, or non-disco front axle? If the motor for the axle is not engaging it, the front wheels will not spin

part or full time? if its part time, make sure your vacuume lines going to the axle disconnect (passenger side, wheel well) are in place, mine come off practically every offroad trip.

Check the vacuum lines anyway. They may not be tightly connected. A loss of vacuum at the disco motor would cause the symptoms you are describing.

Sounds like the same problem i had, and it left stuck a couple times in deep snow. If its the same deal, the motor on my disco went out, I shimmed the fork over with washers and locked the front axle together. You can find all kind sof informationa nd a couple different fixes if you search here or commanche club wtih CAD or central axle disconnect.
I had the exact same symptoms as you and thats what i had to do.

Back