• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lighting Setup

evac99

NAXJA Forum User
I just got some walmart special "baja" lights and I don't know that much about wireing and setting up the lights. Ive been looking around but can't find a really detailed write-up of this. Does anyone have pictures and an explanation of how you wired it?

Check out the online instructions for light kits by Hella and the like. They should give you a good idea how to wire them up.

Edit: You will need a switch, relay and lots of wire at the least.

i have those same lights on the back of mine. depends on where you're gonna put them. those lights came with a wiring diagram so i don't see how you'll have trouble there but anyway...
1. if it's on the bumper then you first need to take off the grill.
2. decide where you're going to mount your switch.
3. hook both of the powers together on the lights and then run a single wire into the cab. there's a rubber grommet on the driver's side firewall that works well.
4. hook up that wire to the switch.
5. ground both of the lights to somewhere on the frame. you can do them individually or together, doesn't matter.
6. hook up the ground wire from the switch to somewhere on the firewall. there's a bolt right in front of the brake pedal that works.
7. hook up the power wire from the switch to an empty slot in the fuse box. there should be one along the top of it that's open. make sure the switch is off before you do this or you'll get a nasty spark and may cause a short.

that's pretty much it.

mudslinger4x4 said:
i have those same lights on the back of mine. depends on where you're gonna put them. those lights came with a wiring diagram so i don't see how you'll have trouble there but anyway...
3. hook both of the powers together on the lights and then run a single wire into the cab. there's a rubber grommet on the driver's side firewall that works well.
5. ground both of the lights to somewhere on the frame. you can do them individually or together, doesn't matter.
6. hook up the ground wire from the switch to somewhere on the firewall. there's a bolt right in front of the brake pedal that works.
7. hook up the power wire from the switch to an empty slot in the fuse box. there should be one along the top of it that's open. make sure the switch is off before you do this or you'll get a nasty spark and may cause a short.

that's pretty much it.

If you go this route, make sure you get a heavy duty switch and high quality connectors (soldering the connections is a good way to go). Two 100 watt lights running through one switch will be pulling around 17 amps of current. You have to have solid connections and some heafty wire throughout the circuit.

Also, put a 20-25 amp fuse as close to the power connecton as possible. No need to kill your battery, (or worse, start a fire), because of a wire rubbing on a sharp edge.

mudslinger4x4 said:

that's pretty much it.
For that type of lights you should use a relay not a direct source to the lights through a switch. Then you will need a much smaller wire to run to the switch and you can use a smaller switch because it only has to pull the relay in and that's a lot less amperage. Read up on relays they are a Jeepers friend.

just follow this diagram for the power for the lights. This way you do NOT have to worry about a switch getting hot from not being able to handle the power for the lights. And yes you are controling the relay by switching the ground side of the relay coil. Sorry for the big pic
relay2.jpg

Back