• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Express Gen2 or JKS quicker disconnects?

alemmons

NAXJA Forum User
I have my jeep at about 5.5 inches of lift currently running with no swaybars connected. I am looking at the JKS and the Rubicon Express Gen2 disconnects. Unfortunately I am not sure if there is much difference between the two. The JKS look stronger to me. Is there any experienced users or enough information about the two so I can pick? Thanks in advance.

I am running the RE's currently and am happy with them;however, I have had the JKS discos on a TJ and the JKS ones are very well built. You can't go wrong either way.

JKS, better built and I think they are easier to use. Installed a set of the JKS quicker on mine, and a set of gen2 RE on a buddies and defiently like using mine a lot more.

-Alex

I am running RE and over time they become a PITA to remove and put back on. If I were to do it over again I would go JKS but I already have these and they work.

RE Gen2 are squeaky due to that ball joint thing. now that it's getting warm, it's time to grease mine again since I can hear them with the windows open. If I'd do it again, I'd do JKS quicker disconnects. That, and I've heard that some people snap the pin/bolt on the axle mount, but I haven't had an issue with mine.

I have run them both and like them both. I have 2 issues with the JKS units: your hands get greasy when disconnecting and they rust like a mofo which causes the bushings to seize no matter how much you grease them.

My hands do get a little greasy from the RE's, but not as much. I haven't had them as long as the JKS and the metal heims concern me a bit, but time will tell.

-

Funny thing is.....even though the JKS have grease fittings they work better if you never grease them. Then dirty hands is not a problem. haha

i hated my RE units, the top block was always coming loose and the pin at the bottom is like a thin alluminum piece o garbage, which RE charged me $9 for each...I have JKS now, although I've had great success with my BDS discos...they work really nice too for half the price of either.

My JKS discos started to give me minor problems after about a year. They became difficult to remove, even sitting on level ground. No experience with the RE's.

I have the RE gen2's and they are ok. The heim on the top is noisey after a while and they don't like to stay tight unless you use red loctite. If I were going to buy discos as opposed to getting them with a kit I would have bought the JKS. The RE ones look like little twigs that are gonna snap compared to everything else in my front-end. All in all they have lasted for over 2 years and I think I'm getting replacement heims from www.mcmaster.com They have what looks to be a better quality replacement they are greasable and they ship to your door in like 2 days max.

silverslk said:
Funny thing is.....even though the JKS have grease fittings they work better if you never grease them. Then dirty hands is not a problem. haha

Anyone else find this true? Any ill effects from not greasing? I just instaleed my JKS and was getting ready to grease them for the 1st time, but won't if there is no reason to.

JKS definately, I bought them for my 4.5" lift and just bumped up to 6.5" and was lucky enough that JKS said I could use the same ones. The part number for them is PN 2001. THey will work for a 4" through 8" lift I believe. There maximum eye to eye length is 11.58" but they adjust alot shorter too.

AnzaJeep said:
Anyone else find this true? Any ill effects from not greasing? I just instaleed my JKS and was getting ready to grease them for the 1st time, but won't if there is no reason to.

why would you not grease them??? You wear out the bushing if you dont, and they slide on/off easier greased.

I neglected to grease mine for a while and they started to clunk a tiny bit. a pump of grease and it was gone.

i LOVE my JKS quicker discos, easy on and off, and dont have to be perfectly level to get on or off....

As to the not greasing them I disagree. I keep mine greased and have had no problems with them. I vote for the JKS and I'm a big RE fan but they need to stick to lifts and JKS can do the disco and trackbar things as far as I'm concerned. JMHO and I'm stickin' to it!!!

I just went from the RE Gen Is to the JKS quicker discos. WOW what a difference, the JKS setup is much much nicer.

Ive got RE Gen2 and hate them. Snapped the bolt that attaches to the swaybar twice, the heim joint squeaks like a dog toy, the pins like to get stuck, and the bottom pin bends easily. JKS is the way to go, do it right the first time.

Back