• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coils and spacers

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, Might have heard this one before once or twice, I have a 89 xj with 3 inch coils and 1/3/4" spacers on top. I also run a detours and a 8000# winch so they may have settled a bit. Kind of right where I want it at. My problem is the damn coils move around so much with the spacers on top. They bow and arch and rub on the end link, trac bar mount etc. I think its from the plastic spacer. Would a set of 4.5 inch re coils fix me up? or should I just go with acos on my current coils?

Either or will work, the advantage with the ACOS is (obvously) that you can get it to the exact height that you want where as if you went with the new coils you would pretty much be stuck at one height.

Does an acos fit the top of the coil better than a poly spacer?? When under pressure the spacer tends to allow the spring to bow in all directions

I recently added the acos to my setup. Took it to MOAB last month and I had the same problem with the coils rubbing the trackbar mount. It didn't before. Other than making some new noises from the rubbing, I don't think it is hurting anything. My .02.

Its because of your lift height and short arms w/o DB's.

I think the rubbing problem is from the spacers. I've had 3 lifted jeeps, 2 with no spacers as lift, 1 with spacers for lift. The one with spacers as lift was lifted less height and had more problems with that type of stuff. I'm done with spacers.

weird, i have 3" coils with 1.75 or 2" spacers(cant remember which) with no insolator and RE upper/lower control arms. i get zero bowing of the springs. the springs are straight as could be.

must be because i dont have a winch and still have the stock bumper.

maybe you need higher rated springs?

I had to add 1 3/4" spacers to my 3" coil after a bumper/ winch combo. I added RC drop brackets at the same time and haven't noticed my coils bending and hitting anything yet. If you think about it when you add a spacer above the coil you have increased the distance from the top of the axle to the bottom of the body/frame and added a joint (spacer) from which the spring can bend or flop around. If you added a longer spring without a spacer you would remove the joint.

tinnocker30 said:
I had to add 1 3/4" spacers to my 3" coil after a bumper/ winch combo. I added RC drop brackets at the same time and haven't noticed my coils bending and hitting anything yet. If you think about it when you add a spacer above the coil you have increased the distance from the top of the axle to the bottom of the body/frame and added a joint (spacer) from which the spring can bend or flop around. If you added a longer spring without a spacer you would remove the joint.
I think your right on the money, I'll probably just throw 6.5" coil springs and level the rear with shackles.

Spacers are a band-aide and are never a good final solution to a lift problem. JMHO.

Back