• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift and gearing delima/questions

alex22

NAXJA Forum User
Lift:
As my jeep sits now, It has 4 inch drop brackets and springs up front, but the back has a saggy shackle and an add-a-leaf. I'm guessing that they were once 4 to 4.5 inches of lift. The leaves are saging, unevenly, 3 inches of lift on the drivers side and 2.75 on the pass side. I was at Clayton's today and he has a set of 6.5 inch lift springs, if i remove one leaf it will give approx 4.5 inches of lift. The other option I have is to go with the OME medium duty 2-3 inch leaves and either reuse my shackles or buy the 1.5/2/2.5 shackles from Clayton. Does anybody here have a setup that is similar to either of these, if so what do you think about them?

Gearing:
I have an AX-15 and 3.08's. By June I will have a stroker with as much torque as possible (goal: 300ft/lbs+) I have a Ford 8.8 that is ready for gears and spring perches. I would like to run 31" tires. How would 31's and 3.08 gears be for mileage and streetability. I have a set of 3.08's and 3.73's but I was consitering buying a set of 4.10's.
Any input would be appreciated.

~Alex

I have 235/75R15. about 29.5 inches tall. using a program, the engine is turning at 1846RPM. The program say the RPM will be 1720RPM at 65mph with 31" and 3.08 gears.

cruising at highway speeds won't be an issue with your 308's. Getting up to that speed will take about a week and a half even with the stroker. Where did you get your 8.8 from. I think the exploders came with 4:10's

Mine came from a junkyard down the street from where I work. Its out of a 97 explorer with 3.73 gears and a posi.

~Alex
A NAXJA member as of 5 minuts ago!

the jeep axles with the ax-15 have 3.07 not 3.08 gears... if that's what you meant. i'm not as up to date on my 8.8 tech as i'd like to be, if you were talking about ford making a 3.08 gear...

i do not have but have heard that OME 3" springs are soft. i assume you want to return to your 4" or so lift? what about RE 3.5" full packs with an inch lift shackle? probably about the same or less $ than a clayton 6.5" pack. tons of people have had great luck with RE 3.5" packs and i myself soon plan on picking up a used pair.

currently i'm runnig 31x10.5 bfg muds on my 3.07s with a k&n CAI, so it's got a little more throttle response than stock. anyway, it's not that bad, but it's a little slow. just don't drive it like it's a vette and you'll be fine and you'll still get decent gas mileage. offroad i still have enough torque, but if $ wasn't an issue, i'd snag a pair of axles out of a junker with an aw4 because they came with 3.55 gears and that would return it to stock.

good to know.

I went to my local junkyard today and I found a 4-banger wrangler with 4.10s in the front. He said I can have the whole axle for $75. Is a Dana 30 is a Dana 30 regardless of what vehicle it was in? He has a coupple of explorers and ford rangers and one might have 410's, will the ring and pinion from a 27 spline 8.8 fit a 31 spline 8.8?
Will using the shackles and the OME leaves give me more spring travle?

~Alex

I found a set of 3.73s for the front on a local forum, so that will be the ratio i'm going to run with. I'm still wondering about which lift to go with.

~Alex

alex22 said:
I went to my local junkyard today and I found a 4-banger wrangler with 4.10s in the front. He said I can have the whole axle for $75. Is a Dana 30 is a Dana 30 regardless of what vehicle it was in? He has a coupple of explorers and ford rangers and one might have 410's, will the ring and pinion from a 27 spline 8.8 fit a 31 spline 8.8?
Will using the shackles and the OME leaves give me more spring travle?

~Alex
Make sure it's a high pinion D30, IIRC that will be a low pinion, and won't work. But I could be wrong.

As of now I am just going to use the carrier out of the 4 cyl jeep and probably sell the 4.10's. Is the carrier different from high to low pinion D30's? I have to check on the gears he has for sale, high or low.

~Alex

alex22 said:
Gearing:
I have an AX-15 and 3.08's. By June I will have a stroker with as much torque as possible (goal: 300ft/lbs+) I have a Ford 8.8 that is ready for gears and spring perches. I would like to run 31" tires. How would 31's and 3.08 gears be for mileage and streetability. I have a set of 3.08's and 3.73's but I was consitering buying a set of 4.10's.
Any input would be appreciated.

~Alex

I have the same trans as you and running 4.10's with 32's. For me 4.10's are a little low, If I could do over I'd run 3.73's. Dont know my milage cause my speedo is like 30 mph off. Just my opinion.

Rob

Last edited:
I was running 3.07s with 31s. I did alot of down shifting on hills. I'm now runnng 4.10. At 70mph I'm turning about 2400 rpms. I can set the cruise at 70 in 5th gear and never down shift.

I have a set of 3.73s for sale:

were attached to so I don't know anything else about them. Make me an offer.

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

If you're interested shoot me a PM.

Sent ya a PM.

Will the carrier from a low pinion fit in a high pinion D30?

~Alex

bump...
i'm going to do the swap within the week and would like to know if anybody has any input on the lifts. clayton vs. OME

~Alex

I think the carriers are different, thats why that the tj and xj have different carriers. As far as lifts how high are you going? The clayton long arm kit is amazing if you are talking about that.

-Alex

I'm not going full long arm yet. I'm keeping my front with the 4 inches it has already. I'm looking atn getting the clayton 6.5 inch leaf springs and removing one leaf. clayton said that will give me 4 to 4.5 inches of lift. My current leaves are flatening out. When I diecide to go with 35's I will put the leaf back in, shim the perch and get the 6.5 inch long arm conversion up front. Any input on the flex and ride of either lift?
I'm buying an entire D30 from a 93 wrangler 4 banger for $130 (caliper to caliper). The local jeep dealership cross referenced vin numbers and he said that the carriers are interchangable.

~Alex

Back