• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB bumper tow points

xj-boonie

NAXJA Forum User
While I was bleeding the brakes I was looking at the 2 tow points on my ARB bumper, and was thinking that they don't look so beefy, compared to some that I've seen on other bumpers. I haven't had to use them (yet), but was wondering if they were up for the task.

Thanks,
Mike

ok... but you didn't really assure me of anything.

Do you have an ARB bumper and have you used the tow points?

I've used them for some decent recovery, and they work. How much I really trust them, I dunno. One thing is for sure, the bumper mounts to the framerail need beefed before any side pulling happens. They're not attached very well compared to other offroad bumpers. I added the JCR braces to mine and I feel a little better about it. If the bumper hadn't been free, I probably wouldn't have installed it.

We are gettin my used ARB ready to mount right now. I bought a set of Ukraine Train's extended bumper mounts (1/4" stock with 7 mounting bolt holes) and we are welding them to the ARB--with the 2 bottom bolts for a total of 9, it should really beef up the 5 bolt holes the ARB has.

Now, the cool part--we are slotting the ARB vertically beside the stock mount weld and running the extra 2" or so of the new mounts right through the bumper. Then we welding two more 1/4" stock plates to the extension to form 3/4" thick D rings for shackles. I think this will provide safer points from which to tow if necessary.

Bumper_Mounts.jpg

Picture this, but with the ends run right through the face of the bumper.

Back