• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

budget boost questions

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
i previously bought a daystar 2" bb with coil spacers and shackles for my xj. it works great but i would like a little more room for 31's. i recently purchased a pair of zj front coils for the extra 1" of front lift and have 2 aal's for the rear. my question is, what should/can i do for lcas and an adjustable track bar? i am very capable of fabricating/modifying parts to fit and have the means and tools to make it happen. i would buy the new parts but i have no extra money right now to do so. i don't plan to do the rubicon trail with it, but i do occasionally do some trails, and it just looks better with 31" tires on it. thanks for all your help.

I agree that 31's are the cats ass....but if all you are looking for is the 31's with some trails from time to time.......I'd think about keeping the 2 in. and remove the fender flares.

#1. It's cheap....and I hear what you said about money being tight.
#2. If you start to get above 2 in.....for every one thing you change you need to compensate 10 other things,(sway bar links, driveline angles, alignements, brake lines, shocks, etc.) and that starts to get expensive!!!!!
#3. The further you get from the factory set up, the less reliable your jeep becomes.

I feel that extra 1 inch you're looking for, just to fit 31's, is an expensive 1 inch. Just take the fender flares off for now, and when you have some extra cash, let us know....we'll probably suggest getting some of the quality products that will "grow" with your jeep. Like JKS adjustable track bar and sway bar links. They adjust from a 1 inch lift, up to 3.5 inchs of lift and other sweet mods like that.

Now that's just my 2 cents and only my 2 cents.....I'll probaly get roasted...but if my brother was to come to me and ask the same question, that's the answer I'd give him..
Most of all just have fun!!

Last edited:
I agree with jeepcj/jeepxj, no need to go another inch.
I have that same BB you have and the 31's.
I just have not removed the flairs yet.
Did you extend your bump stops?
I did the rear bump stops and I only rub a little.
I can live with it but wanna go flairless and trim the fenders to just above the holes.

Look close at this pic.
2" square tube. drill and bolt up.
(actually if i remember right the square tube was more like 1 3/4 inch)
1.jpg

That pic is from my recent spring swap after the shackles killed my springs.
Took about a year to kill the springs.

I don't think going up to 3" is that bad. My swaybar links and control arms were fine at that height. I think once you get into 4" territory is where you start running into problems ie. SYE, trackbar, control arms etc. Most companies that sell 3" kits dont include much more than springs/AALs.

X2 On the shackles, my brand new stock packs were inverted in 6 months.

well, i would take off the flares but i live in pennsylvania, and it is illegal to run without flares, so that isn't an option. i was planning to buy an adjustable track bar to take care of the front end. i have the aal's for the rear because my leafs are at a seroius negative arch because of the shackles so that alone will level the thing out. i was just wondering about the lca's not being long enough, and if i would be able to lengthen them myself to take care of the caster problem that might arise?

Back