• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Push Button Start

bigjeepman

NAXJA Forum User
I am not sure if this is in the right area or not but it relates to modified XJs. I do not want to use my keyswitch anymore. I actually broke it yesterday(in my new jeep) and I want to install push button(or toggle switch starting. I have searched www.12voltguy.com and I like his panels but I am concerned on how to set it up with the xj wiring.

Does anybody know which wires are which and how to correctly install push button starting, or toggle switch starting.

I searched forever and could not find anything.

Anyone that is concerned about theft prevention can PM me their ideas if you are worried about this being a public forum

Thanks in advance

The way I did it is by a electric switch to power a pannel and then a push button. Run the power from the the column and then there should be a wire you can tape into on the column but if you can't find it there run a wire to the front of the truck were there is a connection to the ecu that you can jump. It is right next to the fuse box.

problem is the push button is not that hard, but to bypass the key completely you would need to wire additional switches to provide power for accessories etc.

Then at the end of the day if you had those multiple switches and the push start you would find it becomes somewhat tedious to use the switches to start the car.

IMO, everyone who has every installed a push start grows tired of the novelty and removes it. I think you should save your time and just fix your ignition cylinder.

It is a 1992 4 door cherokee. The thing is that this will not be a daily driver and will probably only get driven on the weekends as a toy. I have other vehicles to drive on the road. This is basically going to be more offroad than my last cherokee. The roof is already chopped off and driving it to work might get a few looks from the police.

Thanks for the help.

Use a double pole double throw switch, Off/On/On which would work as off, then acc, then run. use a push button like in a Mustang gt 500 as the starter switch.

bigjeepman said:
I am not sure if this is in the right area or not but it relates to modified XJs. I do not want to use my keyswitch anymore. I actually broke it yesterday(in my new jeep) and I want to install push button(or toggle switch starting. I have searched www.12voltguy.com and I like his panels but I am concerned on how to set it up with the xj wiring.

Does anybody know which wires are which and how to correctly install push button starting, or toggle switch starting.

I searched forever and could not find anything.

Anyone that is concerned about theft prevention can PM me their ideas if you are worried about this being a public forum

Thanks in advance
Did you break the mechanical portion or the electric switch?Im also fo fixing it!

The part where the key slides in is gone. I am not sure where it is. The previous owner had removed it because it went bad. I just want to fix it without having to jump the starter to the battery with a 2 gauge wire anymore

RCP Phx said:
Did you break the mechanical portion or the electric switch?Im also fo fixing it!
What he said.

I own a car with factory push button start and once the novelty wore off I kinda wish it was a normal config.

Just fix the thing properly.

something like this!
DSCN0216.jpg

Back