• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with a new rearend?

phreaker76

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I just picked up a ford 8.8 with disks and all. I'm a total knob with welding and doing spring perches. Does anyone wanna make a little extra money and help me throw this thing together? I was just going to buy the calipers and rotors off it but when the dude told me 100 for the whole thing I couldn't help myself. Please let me know if someone can help out with this.

Thanks

Last edited:
PM< sent....

Before you install it make sure it has the same gear ratio as your front axle. Unless your going to hold off on it till you regear.

xtimmax said:
Before you install it make sure it has the same gear ratio as your front axle. Unless your going to hold off on it till you regear.

I installed my 4.10 rear axle and left 3.07's in my front for a couple weeks. As long as you dont put it in 4wd you're fine.

if you take off the front drive shaft it doesnt matter what you have for gears in either axle... you can run like that as long as you need to, until you get the front geared to match the rear or vice versa.

GrimmJeeper said:
if you take off the front drive shaft it doesnt matter what you have for gears in either axle... you can run like that as long as you need to, until you get the front geared to match the rear or vice versa.

Dont even need to pull the shaft so long as you have the discipline to not put it in 4wd.

Some red duct tape on the t-case handle is a good reminder.

Don't know how to start my own thread... I want to do something to the back, but haven't committed to anything yet. Rear drums are shot, figured I'd go disc, but I thought I should replace the Dana35 if I'm gonna tow; plus I want to raise the whole thing 3-4". Somebody said cut down a leaf and pack it in. Others say shackles; I hope to add auto-air (bags?, or shocks?) and a compressor (I guess?) since my load varies from day-to-day. It might be cool to hop at red lights. I need brakes soon, and wanted to take care of as much at once as I can.

'00 Cherokee 2-Door

Well back to my thread now. Thanks for the info though on your plans to fix your xj paperman. Sounds like it will be real nice. Let me see some u tube video of you hopping at lights. Thats would be way tight man. You should try some hydros on that biatch.

Thanks for the encouragement, but as for plans, I don't have one, or I have too many. That's why I'm here. I'm looking for the easiest, cheapest rear-end mod that won't have me retracing my steps down the line. Front-end can come later, when I need to do work up there.

I'm not looking to go sky-high. More like I want to stay grounded if (God forbid) my Jeep leaves the highway when it decides to careen sideways through the snow at 45mph. Wish I had video! I mean those ditches and snow dunes look like great play-areas, but I don't think my stock suspension could recover from that initial bump.

dude;
Spend a few weeks/months getting familiar with NAXJA forums, search, search, search and read read read. Learn your way around the forum, learn as much as possible, then post a question in the right sub-forum. Your question belongs in the Modified Tech Discussion.

A few hints here ...

You are in the wrong sub-forum, this is SoCal Chapter Forum
You have intruded on someone else's thread with completely irrelevant question
Your question is all over the map and does not make much sense.
You haven't picked on subtle hints on this
These are great bunch of guys in SoCal Chapter and you did get a lot of slack here. It wouldn't be the case in a lot of other forums.

Back