• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift kit?

mr2guy7

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, here is the deal, I have a couple friends getting rid of there lift kits and I was curious as to what you guys think I should do. I dont plan on doing hard core off roading at all just some light trail riding.
First off, I have a friend with a 4.5" rusty's lift kit with full spring packs that he has had for 2 years (he is now moving up to 8.5"). He hasn't told me how much he wants for it, but im betting I could get it pretty cheap.
The next option is a 2" BB kit from another friend. I don't know what kind it is but it didnt come with shocks and he said he paid about $260 for it and I can have it for $90.
Or should i not waste my money on either.

big difference between a 4.5" lift and a 2" BB.

the higher you go, the more complicated it gets in terms of what new parts are required for proper set -up of the suspension, drive line, and steering.

what tire size do you want?

what year xj?

The full pack is def the way to go if you go 3 or bigger, AAL sag over time and are just a general pain,

few things to keep in mind before you get the "search" talk

what year do you have? post 97 generally have problems that high with vibes, do you have money for a SYE in case you end up with vibes?

Also what tires do you plan on running, because at 4.5 you can get 32's with little to no trimming and 33's if you get real friendly with a sawzaw, and at these tire sizes your moms grocery getter will have more power, because you are on stock gears (I'm assuimg)

Personally, I started with 3" and have slowly acrued parts and moved my way up to around 4.5 and plan on rebuilding my leaf packs this summer to sit at a healthy 4.5 and I DD mine as well as wheel her

If your friend is more tha willing to help and you put it in keep helping you along the way, and you plan on wheeling it I would go with the 4.5 just keep in mind what I mentioned, you can get away without gears for a while, will just have to suffer the shifts and low power.

Back