• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gears are you guys using?

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
At first I was going to do a 44/9" full width swap, but the prices of swaping the front 44 detoured me! So Friday I willl be picking up a newer 8.8 complete from disk to disk. Gear ratio is unkown, it has the tag on the cover plate but I didn't look at it. It was too good of a deal so I jumped on it. The guy says that the gears are bad in it, which is no concern of mine because I plan on regearing when I install it anyways. I'm running a 4.0 ax-15, 231 with 3.07 and 31's now. I deffinately could use lower gears right now.

My question is what BRAND of gear are you guys running and how are they holding up. I've been searching all weekend and know that Genuine is crap. What about Yukon? I will be doing a LA lift with this setup, Between the RE and TNT 5.5" kits, and running 35" MT's. What gear ratio would you suggest. It will be street driven more than half of the time with some long Interstate 65-75mph trips. Since my ax-15 came with the 3.07 gears would 4.56's be okay or would you suggest the 4.88's?

The few times I have regeared I have used Yukon and factory Spicer gears. As far as what gear ration I would run with your proposed set up, 4.88's. 4.56 may give you better milage though...but my choice would be the 4.88's still.

Georgia Mike said:
D30/8.8 combo, Yukon 4.56 on 35" BFG MT. Trust me, you will want to go with 4.88 instead.

Is that what your running right now? I'm not really concerned with gas mileage it can't get much worse that my 31's with 3.07's.

99XJLove said:
Is that what your running right now? I'm not really concerned with gas mileage it can't get much worse that my 31's with 3.07's.

Yes, it can.....and will....

I was just using the Calculator posted by 2lazy, it looks like I would be doing 2500rpm on the interstate compared to the 2k on with stock gears and tires and just under that now. So I guess 4.88's are the way to go, if you had an auto with stock 3.55 gears. If you have a ax-15 with stock 3.07's then the 4.56's match up closer to stock performance. Are any of you guys running the ax-15?

Last edited:
D30/8.8 Yukon 4.88s on 33" BFG MT. Yeah, you will want 4.88s. They are perfect with the 33s. My RPMs at 65 are ~2300, ~2500 @ 70.

While it is true that 4.56 gears on 35's are the perfect match on paper (or your computer screen), the real world results are skewed by the fact that now you have heavier, wider tires to push, and most likely a lot of lift to clear those tires, so there's more wind resistance to push through.

As to your question, yes, that's my current combo that I posted earlier. If I lived in a more flat locale, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But I live in the foothills of the mountains, and while it's not horrible, I know it could be just a little better. 4.88's will get you the best combination of fuel mileage and performance.

"I'm not really concerned with gas mileage it can't get much worse that my 31's with 3.07's."

Try running 33's on 3.07's. I did that with my TJ many years ago. Now THAT sucked! :laugh3:

Definitely get FRPP gears in the 8.8 rear. Most mustang guys will only run Ford gears when they upgrade, as opposed to Motive and a few other companies.

stock shafts from a 99 in the D30 and Yukon shafts in the 8.25 (with stock back up shafts on board just in case :D ) Running 33 TSL's

justin_502 said:
What is a good pirce to pay someone to set up and instal the gears for you?

the prices range widely. I have a guy about an hour from me that all he does is gears since he has retired from Chrysler. $100 per axle if the axle is pulled from the vehicle, $175 if still under the rig. His prices are for non-crush sleeve axles, and more if they are crush sleeve. Typically the prices I have seen or paid are around the $250-up per axle area. I am sure that there are some higher and some lower, but this is from my personal experience.

Back