• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting from u-joint strap to u-bolt???

Chad29860

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if anyone has changed from the straps to the u-bolts on a 8.25 rearend. I seem to keep having problems stretching the straps and hence causing a vibration. Can this be done by drilling out the holes like on a YJ or do you have to change the yoke? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

per tom woods there is no pinion yoke upgrade (with u bolts) for the 8.25 availablee. you can however use 1971 cj5 u bolts and drill out the holes on your pinion yoke to the proper size. use red locktite and make sure everything clears when the drive shaft spins.

1971 CJ5 u bolts huh.....any source for those?

I appreciate that guys I called a local jeep shop and they told me to check the ford ones. I bought them from Advanced and drilled my yoke. Problem solved and alot stronger now too!

garr said:
Does anyone make a Stronger strap?

I have done alot of searching for stronger straps because for some reason mine kept stretching and would then let the ujoint move side to side. It wouldnt move much but enough to cause a vibration and a hell of a noise on deceleration. It sounded like a bearing going bad. The u-bolt design is alot stronger and reusable where the straps are designed to be replaced everytime they are removed.

Thanks for that info outlander. I am going to do that to my front D30 also. That way they both front and rear take the same parts. I will buy two new sets of u-bolts and keep in my trail bag. Very good upgrade. Those u-joints in your DS look like Brute Force heavy duty ones. Am I correct?

boomhauer said:
You can drill out the yoke and the u-bolt kit part number is 1-0099 from NAPA. -B

Just called NAPA, the part number they gave me is 331-10. Picking them up this afternoon. I will post with the results.

Thanks for checking that out for me, I would have been pretty mad. The part number 1-0099 he said was for something else. (Can't remember definatley not u-bolts).

boomhauer- do you have any more details on this?

Shaf

Chad29860 said:
Thanks for that info outlander. I am going to do that to my front D30 also. That way they both front and rear take the same parts. I will buy two new sets of u-bolts and keep in my trail bag. Very good upgrade. Those u-joints in your DS look like Brute Force heavy duty ones. Am I correct?

not my pics by coincidentally I do have those joints in my DS's and front axle...The fronts have held up to moderate wheelin but I've had to replace some of the DS joints due to the seals not sealing good.

boomhauer said:
Canada must use different numbers, i took it right off the box. I'll check it out further.

I didn't look to see your location, that would make sense.
Obviously I am not very observant.

I ended up going to Tatton's Driveline where they built my driveline. They gave me a pair. Their part number is 1-0089 from Neapco.

I'll get them installed and let everyone know if they are a fit.

I phoned NAPA here in Winnipeg and 1-0099 is the correct part number, so yes Canada's part number's are different than the U.S.
I didn't think they would be, so i apologize for the confusion. -B:wave:

Back