• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

backspacing on 33's

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
with a 4" lift will putting a set of 33's work on stock wheels? will they rub on any of the steering components or anything or do i need wheel spacers?

what with of tire are you gonna be running? you'll probably need spacers. when my dad had his 11.50s on stock rims they were really close to rubbing the leafs in the rear.

you'll definately need to get a different backspaced rim or wheel spacers

I would get different wheels to put them on that are wider and have proper backspacing but i just spent 3 days refinishing and polishing my stock aluminum wheels to a chrome-like shine and they look really nice.

do 12.5 inch wide tires look alright on stock wheels that are much narrower than 12.5"? i would assume they just bulge out more but does it look alright?

You'll definitely need spacers. I tried to run 10.5 wide on stock wheels and the front tires were rubbing the control arms at full lock. I put 1.5 spacers on and they're doing fine.

mitsumotors said:
do 12.5 inch wide tires look alright on stock wheels that are much narrower than 12.5"? i would assume they just bulge out more but does it look alright?

Yes they look ok people do it without a problem at all. My prefrence is different wheels but maybe that is just me.

A set of steel wheels will cost about the same as a set of spacers.

If you get a good spacer, that is. There are many junk ones out there too!

I got a set of 5 black Crager soft 8's. Cost me a few dollars more than 4 spidertrax spacers. Worth it in my opinion!! Although I wanted to go the spacer route initially, I am very goad I got the wheels instead!!

definately get new wheels. i had spacers on mine for about 2 months and one day on a trail put too much strain on one and snapped the lugs right off of my front tire. decided to get new wheels after that. my 12.5's stick out about 6" with 2" bs on my rims. looks pretty sweet if you ask me.
100_0483.jpg

bandit455 said:
you could run 33x10.5's

but even thats pushing it with 5.5"bs that your stock wheels will have

Stock XJ wheels have 5.25" of BS, and he will still rub on his LCA's at full lock with 10.5's.

I'm running the Rusty's 3" HD lift. Of course since it's the heavy duty kit it gives more than 3". I'm running 32x11.50's as of this past Saturday on 15x8 wheels w/ 4" backspacing. Trimming and bushwackers accomodate!

I've going 2" higher with shackles and spacers. Just need an SYE before I can put the additional lift on!

Here's a pic:

l_981b4f263738cfe83eb97e653de76baf.jpg

As long as you trim you'll be fine. I know a guy running 35's on a 3" lift. He trimmed without cutting into the pinch and he doesn't rub!

I have a 4.5 inch RE lift. I am running 33 x 9.5 BFG ATs on stock alloy wheels. I had to put 2 flat washers behind the steering stops to keep from rubbing the LCAs. The two washers cost me 18" on my turning circle from stock tires & wheels.

Back