• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need tire carrier opinions

XJ6

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about getting a rear bumper with tire carrier and asking for opinions pro and con - I know it would at least partially block rear vision, would give more room in the cargo area for other stuff, but will it create any real problems with weight on the rear and higher than sitting flat on the rear floor, don't think departure angle would be a problem with the one's I'm considering ( JCR, AJ's, Detours). Help me out with some advice here, OK.
dankk2.gif

Oh yeah, I gotta do something - was sitting at a red light in traffic and got nailed in the right rear
cry.gif
by (of all things a Kia suv) that then rear ended a Honda and broadsided an Impala - my Heep was the only one involved that was drivable, but I need right side quarter panel work, tail lamp, and bumper, enough that her insurance calls my XJ a total loss - yeah I'm gonna keep it and fix it back ... maybe improved
undecided.gif

No experience but I’ve got 2 cents….I’ve been wondering the same thing myself. I think I’ve decided to go with the spare on roof. The thought of more weight that high up doesn’t thrill me. However, the weight of a 33” tire and the swing out assembly behind the axle is significant. Does leverage factor in ?. The shipping weight of a Wilderness EXT bumper is 165 LBS. Not sure of actual weight but I’ll bet its well over a 100.

untitled1.jpg

Mine sits extreamly high, is built out of 3/16th sq tube, 2 latches, and carries a 35" tire. My jeep rides better w/ the extra weight. And I built it to suit my needs, I can see out 1/2 the back because its off set, it can hold up to a 37" tire, it shouldnt ever hit on anything, and if it were to hit it can hold the entire weight of the Jeep no problem.

99xj4x4 said:
Mine sits extreamly high, is built out of 3/16th sq tube, 2 latches, and carries a 35" tire. My jeep rides better w/ the extra weight. And I built it to suit my needs, I can see out 1/2 the back because its off set, it can hold up to a 37" tire, it shouldnt ever hit on anything, and if it were to hit it can hold the entire weight of the Jeep no problem.

Thanks for the info .... is the weight out back ever a problem on trails ?

BTW .. looks good and stout :thumbup:

Mike

srry I just noticed that I posted a pic of the build process and its not done in that pic LOL o well.

No weights only been an advantage so far. My suspension is built HD though, so w/ softer componets it would be different. Right now the bumpers off the Jeep and it sucks, it rides ruff, and the ass end is sketchy. + the Jeeps sitting stink bug.
Ive probably had close to 300lbs back there between the bumper, swing away, tire, and gas.
Only problem is opening the swing away up hill, holding it open while opening the hatch and grabbing what ever is in the back, but you'd have that same problem w. any swing away.

Wilderness EXT

Well when searching for info on this carrier I only found this 'ol thread! Does anybody Have this bumper? Will you tell me what you think of it or is there another similar Tire/Gear carrier?

Since there is no way I can fit a 33" in the cargo area "gracefully" (and retain any semblance of storage) I would really like a carrier like this, but it would be nice if it didn't weigh a bazillion pounds also. I know, I'm asking for cake and eating privileges right?

On the roof is bad for my situation, the roof is spoken for. Anyhoo, what do you think?

Here is the Wilderness EXT
xj_rear_carrier_green.jpg

The webpage relevant is here: http://www.rocky-road.com/xjrear.html

:patriot:

After building an exterior tire carrier on a different XJ (which worked well), I wanted to put it inside on the next one. Here is what I did, and it's not all that complicated:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1079202&highlight=Wheel+stock+location

The tire doesn't move any and takes up just a couple more inches of linear space on the inside. It sticks out that far due to the wheel well. Recently used the Jeep to haul a load of wood on the inside. Yah, I may have had to leave a couple of 3" logs behind, but over all, I am pleased with it.

Rigidco ftw! There standard bumper tire carrier starts at 750. They are beef and class III rated hitch for towing. They don't have a pics on there site but I called the number on the site and terry (owner and fabricator) answered the phone. He emailed me a price list with pictures. I will be ordering from him shortly. I have a front bumper from rigidco currently.

After building an exterior tire carrier on a different XJ (which worked well), I wanted to put it inside on the next one. Here is what I did, and it's not all that complicated:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1079202&highlight=Wheel+stock+location

The tire doesn't move any and takes up just a couple more inches of linear space on the inside. It sticks out that far due to the wheel well. Recently used the Jeep to haul a load of wood on the inside. Yah, I may have had to leave a couple of 3" logs behind, but over all, I am pleased with it.

Hey that is pretty cool, I would still like to not have a 33" hogging my cargo area but having it inside is nice to keep it fresh if you actually have to run it - the sun seems to hammer the rooftop/outer sidewall of a spare badly, followed by bumper carrier mounted spares.

Rigidco ftw! There standard bumper tire carrier starts at 750. They are beef and class III rated hitch for towing. They don't have a pics on there site but I called the number on the site and terry (owner and fabricator) answered the phone. He emailed me a price list with pictures. I will be ordering from him shortly. I have a front bumper from rigidco currently.

Hmm cool. PICTURES! Please! :flipoff:

Here is a link to an install thread. You can see all the hardware and accessories available. I googled it

http://www.ruggedjeep.com/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=71

This is an old thread and many of the things complained about ie the latch system and issues with clearances with gas skids have been changed and addressed. Just call terry at rigidco and he will answer all the questions you have. Great customer service thus far.

Last edited:
yeah, I was just looking at a rear bumper as well, as far as premade ones go rigidco looks like the beefiest and most reassuring if you plan on using it to tow. Actually started trying to free up some hardware today in prep for the bumper swap that I'm pretty sure I'm going to do (removing all the bolts that need to be removed, one by one, tapping the holes, and reinstalling with anti-sleaze) but I'm not doing real well :( Wish I had an impact wrench, even an electric one. My arms are getting tired even with a cheater pipe and I'm scared that I'm going to bust a nut (oh, that sounded bad) off one of the nut strips and then I'm gonna cry. And here I thought that having a factory skid was a good thing...

yeah, I was just looking at a rear bumper as well, as far as premade ones go rigidco looks like the beefiest and most reassuring if you plan on using it to tow. Actually started trying to free up some hardware today in prep for the bumper swap that I'm pretty sure I'm going to do (removing all the bolts that need to be removed, one by one, tapping the holes, and reinstalling with anti-sleaze) but I'm not doing real well :( Wish I had an impact wrench, even an electric one. My arms are getting tired even with a cheater pipe and I'm scared that I'm going to bust a nut (oh, that sounded bad) off one of the nut strips and then I'm gonna cry. And here I thought that having a factory skid was a good thing...

Don't fret bro, JCR has a premium replacement nut strip for a decent price. You really should get an impact though, and some Kroil because the impacting effect helps shocks the penetrants into the rusted threads. We can't have you busting a nut now. hehe :D

Yeah i already got some off classifieds but I need to get my skid down without breaking anything otherwise my life becomes bad :( you're right, I should have an impact but I'm working in the driveway with no air. :( next up, upper shock bolts... gotta get those out too

I got my spare on the roof. It only goes up there for trips or wheeling. Won't fit in the garage otherwise

untitled1.jpg

I'd be pulled over in 5 minutes in PA with the plate blocked like that. But PA also has rear plates only, no front

I'm thinking about getting a rear bumper with tire carrier and asking for opinions pro and con - I know it would at least partially block rear vision, would give more room in the cargo area for other stuff, but will it create any real problems with weight on the rear and higher than sitting flat on the rear floor, don't think departure angle would be a problem with the one's I'm considering ( JCR, AJ's, Detours). Help me out with some advice here, OK.
dankk2.gif

Oh yeah, I gotta do something - was sitting at a red light in traffic and got nailed in the right rear
cry.gif
by (of all things a Kia suv) that then rear ended a Honda and broadsided an Impala - my Heep was the only one involved that was drivable, but I need right side quarter panel work, tail lamp, and bumper, enough that her insurance calls my XJ a total loss - yeah I'm gonna keep it and fix it back ... maybe improved
undecided.gif
dude that sucks. Do you have a pic of it?

Don't fret bro, JCR has a premium replacement nut strip for a decent price. You really should get an impact though, and some Kroil because the impacting effect helps shocks the penetrants into the rusted threads. We can't have you busting a nut now. hehe :D

buy a gallon of ATF and a gallon of acetone, mix 50/50. Works better than kroil and is lots cheaper.

Back