• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extremely URgent! -Weird new vibrations

sheeks175

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have to drive my jeep back to college 120 miles away tomorrow morning and I have a really bad problem. On the way over here my jeep started vibrating really badly on rough sections of the road. It just felt like the road was more bumpey that it really was. This happend at about highway speeds and would go away right when the road smoothed out. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions as to the cause??? Thank you!

Wait so you felt it over bumpy roads and it went away when the road "smoothed out", that would be due to a rough road...

Are you all stock?

Haha yah right I wish. No it was way wayyy worse than it should be only when the road was a little bumpy. I am not stock. I have rusty's long arms with about 7-8 inchs of lift on 35s.

Shavenyak said:
He said he's got 7-8 inches of lift and running 35's on Rusty's long arms.

Sry, doing too much at one time. Thanks for the correction.

To the OP, first things to check. Tire pressure, tire wear, and tire balance.

You could have hit your coil springs natural frequency, a harmonic.

Everything has a natural frequency, if a sound or other disturbance is the same frequency as the objects natural frequency, it can cause this behavior.

Just like when a glass shatters when the fat lady sings...

j99xj said:
You could have hit your coil springs natural frequency, a harmonic.

Everything has a natural frequency, if a sound or other disturbance is the same frequency as the objects natural frequency, it can cause this behavior.

Just like when a glass shatters when the fat lady sings...

Hmmm. I guess its possible. Although it happened a lot more than one time. I just dont think thats the case.

sheeks175 said:
Hmmm. I guess its possible. Although it happened a lot more than one time. I just dont think thats the case.

Check all bolts. Coil bucket etc

I had same thing once. I found, after checking the trackbar bolt, that the sway bar links had come loose at the axle end. Also I had to retighten the shocks... I broke a mount some how. Check the driverside first. For some reason, anything loose on that side seems to be worse than loose stuff on passenger side.
Lemmie guess, it wobbles at about 55mph or 60 on a slight bump... nothing major, but like death wobble.

mk153smaw said:
I had same thing once. I found, after checking the trackbar bolt, that the sway bar links had come loose at the axle end. Also I had to retighten the shocks... I broke a mount some how. Check the driverside first. For some reason, anything loose on that side seems to be worse than loose stuff on passenger side.
Lemmie guess, it wobbles at about 55mph or 60 on a slight bump... nothing major, but like death wobble.

Yah kind of like that. The thing is I dont even run a sway bar... even though i totaly should driving on the free way. Yah maybe I should check the shocks too. I just went out and tightened and greased everything I thought would help. I took it for a little drive and everything seemed to be fine. But we will see what 120 miles does to it tomorrow.

7-8" of lift on 35's, bro you need a swaybar. Greesing things will likley not fix the problem you have neither will the shocks.

sheeks175 said:
Yah kind of like that. The thing is I dont even run a sway bar... even though i totaly should driving on the free way. Yah maybe I should check the shocks too. I just went out and tightened and greased everything I thought would help. I took it for a little drive and everything seemed to be fine. But we will see what 120 miles does to it tomorrow.
Hmm, when you said "vibrations" I was thinking rear vibes, not front end wobbles.

Back