• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tps

PO121---- In range Throttle posistion sensor (TPS) fault
PO122---- In range Throttle posistion sensor (TPS) circuit low input
PO123---- In range Throttle posistion sensor (TPS) circuit high input

Probably time to have a look at the TPS sensor and its wiring. Most likely its time to replace it. They do eventually wear out. Pretty easy to change out. It's right on the side of the throttle body and you'll need a torx screwdriver to remove it.

Local parts store, or mail order at http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/cgi-bin/partsSQL/search.cgi?query=TPS&catid=95 if you can't find it locally.

If this is an automatic, you might be having wierd shifting too as the trans computer uses this sensor too.

Have you also taken a look down the throttle body to check for carbon buildup? I was surprised at the amount I found in my 96 which led to my tps replacement. After cleaning with brakefluid carefully and replacing the sensor, it not only ran great but my gas mileage went up 2mpg.

Hudson Bend said:
Have you also taken a look down the throttle body to check for carbon buildup? I was surprised at the amount I found in my 96 which led to my tps replacement. After cleaning with brakefluid carefully and replacing the sensor, it not only ran great but my gas mileage went up 2mpg.
Between the TPS and the IAC cleaning I have also improved my idle and my engine runs much smoother than it has since I have owned this Jeep (6 years) and I would recommend this as a yearly maintence proceedure. My older Renix is better running than my daughters '92 by a long way. Guess I will have to work on hers next.

hmmm so i read this and was like "gee mines a 99, i have a roughish idle, weird tranny shifting and some nice carbon in my throttle body, and i dont think it has been replaced since it was manufactured" so i went and got one, attempted to install it, but i cant get the other one out. the torx screws wont come out, and i am afraid of stripping them completely... any suggestions? also just for giggles i had the engine running with the air tube off the throttle body and i tried to kill the engine by putting my hand over the opening... the idle reduced, but i was never able to kill my engine by doing this, is this normal??? is there air that gets in from somewhere else besides the intake?????

Back