• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The IXNAY curse

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've fallen victim to the IXNAYXJ curse.

The story:

Cruising along N. Lousignont Road scouting roads and breaking snow for Oregon Trail Rally next month.

Something smells funny

Smoke fills up cab of Jeep

Stop, shut it all down, jump out to inspect.

Find smoke rolling out from both sides of the back seat. Inspect closer...

Figure out that Flowmaster 40 has burned through floor and is burning the carpet.

Quickly grab pocket knife and cut out square section of carpet where passenger side rear passengers feet would rest.

Throw a bunch of snow on floor to hear it sizzle like eggs in a pan.

So yeah, basically now I have holes in my floorboard, no carpet in a spot, and this has just added to my list of things wrong with my Jeep that make me want to retire it to 100% trailrig.

I'm gonna start exploring new Jeeps after I return from Olympus rally I think. Probably gonna have to go off of a lot, so I can finance it. Gonna eyeball a 2000-2001 I think.

Ive heard this curse so I put a shield on top of my exhaust. NO problems yet. I also had people tell me that there feet were hot. :)

Shields!! Over the Cat (if still equipped) and rear muffler. Airbake Cookie sheets are fairly cheap. I just looked around the yard and found a piece of metal on my old BBQ stand that was the right size and drilled some holes and ran some bolts through.

Metal Thrasher said:
I just looked around the yard and found a piece of metal on my old BBQ stand that was the right size and drilled some holes and ran some bolts through.
Basically the same thing I did too. I noticed my carpet was getting really hot back there. When I checked the carpet, the plastic insulation was melted to the floor, and there was a small hole as well. I sealed the hole and made a heat shield, problem solved. The floor doesn't even get warm back there anymore.

At least you weren't like Joe. I believe he actually had :flame:.

For those scratching their heads:

Original Story

Moab07002.jpg

Moab07005.jpg

Moab07004.jpg

The best fix I've seen is the late model XJ exhaust heat shield (cookie sheet never really worked for me). Thefactory shield works GREAT and Avanteone can get them pretty cheap.

-----Matt-----

Is the 2nd picture from when you were up at tinkham and bailed last fall/winter?

-Alex

edit: I'm a tard, but didnt this happen last winter before you got the new one? Or am I hittin the nyquil to hard again?

The factory heat shield for the 97+ rigs works really well and is only about $17.

Add some Dynamat to the inside and you don't feel a thing.

I've tried the cookie sheets and cake pans and foam and everything else. This is where the Jeep engineers actually got it right. Buy the factory shield.

my muffler was a little further back under the rear seat.

we were cruising up a mountain road in the snow and everyone except me was sleeping.

i had been smelling a slight something for a couple minutes but was trying to figure out if my mind was playing tricks on me.

then after staring at all that snow i had to look around in the jeep a little before my eyes could adjust to seeing the small amount of smoke.

i of course assumed the worst and thought my wiring was toast. luckily i just had some carpet embers underneath the rear seat.

flipped up the rear seat, tossed a quick couple handfulls of snow in there, let her cool down for a while and just headed home.

the floor was rusted through under the carpet which contributed to the heat getting through.

the muffler i had on for a short while i actually built an awesome sheetmetal heat sheild for it but it was too restrictive.

i also used some RVT and sheetmetal and screwed a new "floorpan" under the seat. and then took one of my old stock floor mats and cut it to the right size and shoved in there.

but now after the new magnaflow and tcase drop i've got it made in the shade.

but i hear ya! its pretty un-nerving when there's smoke inside while you're driving!

For whatever reason it seems as though flowmasters are always the culprit, does anyone else know of any other muffler that can catch your Jeep on fire?

My first similar experience was at Sandlake and I also had a flowmaster but all of my carpet was removed so it was just bare floorboards. The victim of this 40 series muffler was sitting in the passenger rear seat. We were driving fast and climbing some of the hill climbs for maybe 30 minutes. We came back to camp and when my friend went to get out of the Jeep he realized that his shoes were melted to the floor. When he picked his feet up there were strings of rubber hanging off the bottoms of his shoes. It was pretty funny and his shoes had amazing traction after the sand melted into the bottom.

I also now have a magnaflow and don't experience any problems.

Last edited:
I just found it odd that it took this long to get that hot. Its been fine for like 6 months...oh well. I'll fix it and move on.

noutlawjeeper said:
flowmaster says to use a heat shield, you guys should read.

I didn't see that data printed on the wall at the muffler shop. :laugh3:

noutlawjeeper said:
Or just get a nice, plush 97+. :spin1:

Ok, I'll do that.:woohoo:

Back