• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunking sound while slowing...

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
my 97 xj has a clunking sound when i apply the brakes from 25 mph down to a stop and is relative to the driveshaft speed. I checked the brakes out of curioustiy, and they are fine, as i have replaced them back in december. the truck has 165,000 miles on it, and it has an 8 1/4 rearend. today, i checked the universal joints, and they were fine. however, the yoke coming out of the transfer case has a little play up and down (like .050" max). i normally wouldnt worry about it but it sounds like something is going to fall off the damn thing. also, there is a popping noise that seems to be coming from the steering box, has anyone heard of this? i just want to fix the thing so it doesn't fall apart.

can u hear metal on metal sound or is it more like a thud. mine makes a thud and i may have traced it to a sloppy chain in the trans case. almost like it skips a tooth.

is the clunking sound coming from the front?

If i'm not mistaken, the u-joints are supposed to have zero up and down play in them. If this is the case, then that sounds like your problem (or part of it atleast).

Back