• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I have an SYE??

xjcjfreek

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to know if i have a sye on my 86 cherokee. It's stock as far as i know, but the rear driveshaft looks like it is a slip shaft. i have a pic but dont know how to post it. I believe its a np229 TC.

host it on photobucket.com and post it using the link. np229 was only used 84-87 in AMC 4 cyl xjs and 82-91 in full size jeeps. what year is your jeep? it's not impossible that you have a 228, but highly more probable that you have a 242 or 231...

cid_0412081359.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic.
Its an 86 cherokee 4 door with the 2.8L crysler 904 auto tranny

Wipe the sludge off of the silver and red tab in that last picture. It will tell you what transfer case you have.

looks like a front drive shaft with a SYE.
You say it's stock? Dont think so

Yeah but it's the opposite of how people usually put on front shafts and I doubt the double cardan is on the axle end... I'm guessing it pry is stock.

you dont need a sye on your transfer case, if you lift the heck out of it, just get a cv driveshaft and put it on there. You might have to get another yoke just like your front one to handle the cv driveshaft, but other than that you are set up.

I have never heard of that tc, what motor trans do you have?

yes that's an sye and in my 1st post, i mentioned that engine as having that TC, so yep, you have a np 229 with sye

Back