• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very dark temp/compass display

wim hoppenbrouwers

NAXJA Forum User
Hallo Jeepers. The digital temp/compass display of my '92 is very weak.
I can hardly see it in daylight.
What can it be? a bad fuse or mayby a connector?
Does someone have an idea? greetings from Holland:wave:

Sounds like the wire for the auto dim has +12volts to it putting it in the auto dim mode with the dash lights off. Look by the right kick panel for the wiring. Should be a green plug, red plug ,and a black plug.

Jeepcreep said:
Hi,
I would say that the LED display is worn out and the dimming is due to old age, just my 2 cents worth.

Hallo. I think,you are right. I have to live with it. I have to take a trail without to known which direction or temp. But it is a Jeep and that is the most important thing and I am alive.:clap: p.s I am 60 years old now and my Jeep only16.:roflmao:

wim hoppenbrouwers said:
I have to live with it. I have to take a trail without to known which direction or temp.

some of us didn't even get the option of a compass:rattle:

P.S. I heard about these three guys, a while back, the followed a star to get where they were going!! I personally use the sun, but when that fails, I just enjoy getting lost!

Shorty said:
P.S. I heard about these three guys, a while back, the followed a star to get where they were going!! I personally use the sun, but when that fails, I just enjoy getting lost!

Actually, there is a way(I think only certain seasons of the year) to track North using the stars if y'all get lost anytime. My flight instructor pointed it out to me: it uses the three stars from Orions belt and some other stars around it to form an arrow that points directly North. Check it out sometime!

Jeepcreep said:
Hi,
I would say that the LED display is worn out and the dimming is due to old age, just my 2 cents worth.

Mine is way older and still bright as new. Not as reliable as the sun, moon or stars but just as bright as if it was a new one.

90Blue_XJ said:
Mine is way older and still bright as new. Not as reliable as the sun, moon or stars but just as bright as if it was a new one.

Hallo Skylookers. The problem is that I can't see it in the daylight.
Can I take it apart and clean the electric connectors or something else?:woohoo: :attom:

90Blue_XJ said:

Hallo Skylookers. The problem is that I can't see it in the daylight.
Can I take it apart and clean the electric connectors or something else?:woohoo: :attom:

You can take it apart and put new bulbs in it. Maybe even LED's.

I thought my clock was broken, I replaced the bulb. Problem solved.

ParadiseXJ said:
You can take it apart and put new bulbs in it. Maybe even LED's.

I thought my clock was broken, I replaced the bulb. Problem solved.

Hallo. I can't find any bulbs init. The display looks like a small LCD screen.
In the early days,you could find them in calculators.(green lighting).
I will visit a junkyard next week to look for it. Thanks
Hopefully I can find the way,you know why.:woohoo:

Last edited:
wim hoppenbrouwers said:
Hallo. I can't find any bulbs init. The display looks like a small LCD screen.
In the early days,you could find them in calculators.(green lighting).
I will visit a junkyard next week to look for it. Thanks
Hopefully I can find the way,you know why.:woohoo:

Hello,

You are correct. There are no bulbs and the read-out/display is neither L.E.D. nor L.C.D.. The read-out/display is a vacuum florescent display. See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_fluorescent_display

I recommend that you see if you can find a used read-out/display from an automotive parts yard or other source.

Good luck to you!! :cheers:

Back