PDA

View Full Version : need help

jason90xj
April 11th, 2008, 22:27
need help new to being an xj owner have a 90 limited w/ ABS and have no brake fluid going to my rear brakes. Whats wrong?also just bought rubicon 4.5 lift do i need a slip yoke elemator? please help.

jason90xj
April 11th, 2008, 22:28
tkanks for the help

dizzymac
April 12th, 2008, 03:16
What TC 231/242?

90Blue_XJ
April 12th, 2008, 04:21
What TC 231/242?

The short answer is maybe/maybe not. Each individual Jeep is different. My'90 with a 3.5 had no vibes but I thought I may want to go taller so I put the SYE kit in. Mine has the 242 transfer case but I don't think that is a real big factor. I have a buddy with a '88 and he has the 231 in his didn't need a SYE at 3.5" of lift but was also fine at the 5" level without one too. So my theory is the amount of lift is a bigger factor than the transfer case because he did need it at 7" of lift.
As for your ABS problem I can't help you because neither of our Jeeps are so equipped thus I have no experience. Sorry.

Jess
April 12th, 2008, 07:37
how do you know no fluid is going to the rear?
was there any recent work to the brakes?

pokeyxj
April 12th, 2008, 07:38
As far as the rear brakes...My guess would be the proportioning valve. It's the block below the master cylinder that the brake lines go to. There is a switch in the middle that should activate the warning light on the dash. Try removing the switch, slowly push the brake pedal to center the valve then replace the switch. Other things could be the master cylinder, a clogged/crushed line, ABS pump.

jason90xj
April 12th, 2008, 09:08
how do you know no fluid is going to the rear?
was there any recent work to the brakes?

jason90xj
April 12th, 2008, 09:11
i undid he brake lines from wheel drum no fluid followed the line under xj all the way up to where it goes next to fire wall still no fuid?

jason90xj
April 12th, 2008, 09:14
I undid the brake line checking it all the way up to where it goes up the fire wall to proportioning valve? thanks for the reply

jason90xj
April 12th, 2008, 09:17
As far as the rear brakes...My guess would be the proportioning valve. It's the block below the master cylinder that the brake lines go to. There is a switch in the middle that should activate the warning light on the dash. Try removing the switch, slowly push the brake pedal to center the valve then replace the switch. Other things could be the master cylinder, a clogged/crushed line, ABS pump.

jason90xj
April 12th, 2008, 09:21
thanks for the reply I think it has a newer master cylinder or at least from a junkyard also can I just remove the abs and i will try the switch at the proportioning valve

Ecomike
April 12th, 2008, 10:17
... the proportioning valve. It's the block below the master cylinder that the brake lines go to. There is a switch in the middle that should activate the warning light on the dash. Try removing the switch, slowly push the brake pedal to center the valve then replace the switch.

I am assuming you mean reinstall the old switch, that said, what does your suggested procedure do to the PV, bleed trapped air? or purge trash out of the valve or??????