• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit Locker Freeplay

a4x4freak

NAXJA Forum User
I have a d35 witch I had a superior super 35 kit installed along with new 4:56 gears by a local shop now my xj clunks when I put it in gear I can rock it front to back 3-4 inches it is like there is to much freeplay in the gears. The shop owner says this is normal for a detroit locker . Have any of you guys running detroit lockers had this ? Is it normal or did this guy rip me off by doing cruddy work?:confused:

Actually thats about normal,all the auto-lockers suffer from that same thing!

Idid not know that it dose not howl or any thing just kinda scary to hear new gears clunk like that..thank you ..

I have a detroit in a 9" and it is the same way. Just one of the thing you put up with to have a locker.

The deeper the ratio, the more freeplay. An old CJ I once worked on had 5.38 and a Detroit, and the shaft had about 180 degrees of play before engaging. :eek:

CRASH

Back