• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 Noise/Conversion-231?

juicexj24

NAXJA Forum User
my 242 was rebuilt before NAC fest this year, Whiley Enterprises did it. Over the weekend I was doing a once over and noticed my tcase/tcase skid was leaking fluid all over the place. Today I got on the highway and what a sound coming from under the center console, a long grinding whooshing sound. Any ideas, I was going to check the fluid today and change it but my hand is in a splint (workers comp), Also, what would be needed to convert to a NP231, I know my spline count is 21 (88' AW4, 4.0).

Thanks, Juice

I'd give Whaley Enterprises a call if they're the ones who worked on the t-case last. They have a great reputation and should be able to make the situation right.

As far as swapping to a NP231, it was easy on my `95. I used the complete 231 t-case, shift linkages, and interior bezel. I also used the rear driveshaft that was mated to the 231.

juicexj24 said:
Over the weekend I was doing a once over and noticed my tcase/tcase skid was leaking fluid all over the place.

Check the fill plugs. Really stupid and basic, I know, but it could be they're just not seated properly. Failing that, I'd suspect the seals at the front and rear output shafts next.

Also, what would be needed to convert to a NP231, I know my spline count is 21 (88' AW4, 4.0).

IIRC, the 242 didn't use a vacuum-disconnect front axle, but the 231 did. So you'd have to add on the disconnect or replace the axle for one that has it to do the conversion (as well as checking the spline counts). Of course, you could always bypass the vacuum disco entirely and use something like this to get the same effect.

you know that might be it, any idea what flavor it takes...the manual went by by a long time ago and I forget...I drive by the dealer on the way home anyway. Or just Mobil Trans fluid. Thanks, Juice

Juice...my 88 242 was losing fluid once just after it was removed from the vehicle for an SYE. Found the 242 has a rubber plug up around the planatary (sp?) that had gone missing. That was the source of my leak.

I run regular ATF in my transfer.

With your injury i wouldnt hesitate to call Otter and have him check his work.

juicexj24 said:
you know that might be it, any idea what flavor it takes..

Should be regular ATF, no additives. The tranny needs Dexron II or equivalent, but the transfer case takes the plain-Jane stuff. 1.3 litres to completely fill the case if I remember correctly.

Back